Valued Contributor

I need help in cooking a Sirloin Tip Roast...

I have a little two pound Sirloin Tip Roast. How do you suggest I cook it?

Trusted Contributor

Re: I need help in cooking a Sirloin Tip Roast...

I would suggest a good NON salt rub that you like, as sirloin is generally lean and does not need salt to toughen it, seal with plastic wrap and bring to room temp, then place in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes per pound, then turn oven off, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR, and leave in for another 10 minutes per pound, remove from oven, cover with foil for about 10 minutes, then slice and enjoy........Cool You could also slow roast in a slow cooker, as again, most sirloin roast do not have a lot of fat.......or even in pressure cooker, and in any choice, serve with mushroom/red wine/shallot reduction.......Enjoy........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

I generally prefer to make a roast in my slow cooker. I brown it first on top of the stove then in the crockpot I put some beef broth - some onions and I season the meat with salt/pepper and garlic powder. add the meat to the pot and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. It will be fork tender. About a half hour before you are ready to eat use cornstarch and water to thicken the broth into gravy.You can leave the meat in the pot while the gravy thickens or not - up to you.

Valued Contributor

Wow thank you for the advice. Since I am having it for dinner tonight, I will try the 500 degree oven method. Next time I will try my slow cooker. Thanks so much.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Whenever I cook a lean roast in the slow cooker, it comes out so dry, it's barely edible. The leftovers can only be used with a sauce or in a casserole, they're so dry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I second forrest's recipe, but I haven't tried that method yet.

I braise my roasts with balsamic vinegar and stock at 300.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

My favorite roast - it's very simple: put in slow cooker - add a pack of dry French onion, black pepper, 1 c. water - lid it and cook on low for 10 hrs. I make this a day ahead - when done wrap in foil and put in fridge - the next day slice and pour cooking juice reserved from roasting back on and warm again in slow cooker.

I know some will say "ewwww" to the Beefy French Onion soup but it's delicious and the way we like it. You can add veggies if you like.

Super Contributor

Waiting to hear how Cookie's roast came out ....

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 happy housewife said:

I generally prefer to make a roast in my slow cooker. I brown it first on top of the stove then in the crockpot I put some beef broth - some onions and I season the meat with salt/pepper and garlic powder. add the meat to the pot and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. It will be fork tender. About a half hour before you are ready to eat use cornstarch and water to thicken the broth into gravy.You can leave the meat in the pot while the gravy thickens or not - up to you.

I like it this way too, adding a half pack of dry onion soup mix.

Valued Contributor

Well, I tried the 500 degree method and it sort of worked. A roast that small needs some extra time so I ended up putting it back in at 400 for another 20 minutes and it was done just perfectly. Thanks girls. This is a great forum.