Honored Contributor

Re: I need a new Mac & Cheese recipe, please -- all you good cooks out there???

The amount of fat must be staggering - but then it is mac and cheese. We always have this during the holidays as a treat.

Martha Stewart's Perfect Mac and Cheese -

You can easily divide this recipe in half; use a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish if you do.

Serves 12
6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyere or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano
1 pound elbow macaroni

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the breadcrumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside.

4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 chickenbutt said:

Truth be told, I've never used a recipe for this. I just make it.

I don't make it too often, though. There are just two of us and most of my cooking is done for just me, anyway, as he eats at the office most of the time. So when I want macaroni and cheese I make just a one or two serving deal on the stove. What I like about making such a small quantity is that I don't even need to make a roux or béchamel, and it still is very good.

One thing is the seasonings. I've seen a lot of recipes that use cayenne pepper. I found that all that did was add a little hot but didn't contribute at all to flavor. So what I do, in the stead of that ingredients, is to add a little chili powder or taco seasoning.

I also like to use a little powdered mustard, plus white pepper and kosher salt.

Anyway - just a few ideas from the chicken coop. Smiley Happy

I really like quick and easy too - which is one of the reasons I like David V's recipe with the Alfredo Sauce - it takes the place of a roux. The only thing that takes time is cooking the bacon and the pasta, then I just mix it all up. I do make a topping of grated cheese, panko bread crumbs, and crumbled bacon. It gets nice and crunchy.

Honored Contributor

Mmm...bacon! Sometimes I add bacon to mine. Sometimes I add tuna and make it the same except that, for reasons I don't even know, I add celery seed - only when it has tuna in it. Every now and then, when I have some ham on hand I add ham in there.

It's one of those things that you can just do however you want. Smiley Happy I like cheese!

Respected Contributor

I recently made the one from the cookbook from the guy that represents the smoker. Dadgum That's Good I think is the book, and it's the 4 cheese mac and cheese. OMG was it ever a hit!!! No smoker needed! I baked it at 325 for 20 minutes.

Four Cheese Smoke Mac n Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Dadgum That's Good

1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups Gouda cheese shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions
1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225° F.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 by 9 ½-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 225° F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 chickenbutt said:

Mmm...bacon! Sometimes I add bacon to mine. Sometimes I add tuna and make it the same except that, for reasons I don't even know, I add celery seed - only when it has tuna in it. Every now and then, when I have some ham on hand I add ham in there.

It's one of those things that you can just do however you want. Smiley Happy I like cheese!

Sometimes life throws you curve balls... I never cared all that much for different kinds of cheese, just mainly American cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich, until my doc put me on a low cholesterol diet years ago! It was like it flipped a switch, and I fell in love with cheese, just when I couldn't/shouldn't have it! (But I have it anyway - just not as much as I'd like!) Wink

Super Contributor

Google 'martha Stewart macaroni and cheese 101'. The best I've ever eaten!
Esteemed Contributor

I will have to see if I can find our recipe we found. It has sharp cheddar cheese, some kind of Swiss, red peppers, ham. It is so good.
Esteemed Contributor

Super Contributor

Try the White Cheddar Mac n Cheese from Rachel Ray's second cookbook (30 minute meals part 2?)

Valued Contributor

I don't care for grainy macaroni and cheese, so here is the recipe I used.... I didn't have the extra-sharp cheddar cheese, so I just added what I had, instead. I had some Velveeta (I KNOW!!) that I wanted to use up...and I added some Jack cheese (not pepper). This was a pretty good recipe! I love gooey!!

PS: I made 1/2 the recipe and it was plenty!! I didn't use the crock pot, either

Ooey Gooey Mac and Cheese

Ingredients

- 1 box elbow macaroni 1lb

- 2 cans cheddar cheese soup

- 2 12-oz cans evaporated milk

- 1 1/4 sticks butter (3/4 cup)

- 1 tsp each of salt and pepper

- 2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Cook pasta according to pasta directions just until done - you don't want it mushy, because it will absorb a little of the cheesy liquid in the oven.

3. Combine soup, evaporated milk, butter, salt, and pepper in a large microwaveable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small vent, and cook for 6-7 minutes until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm-to-hot throughout. (If making a half batch, 4 minutes in the microwave should do it).

4. Add to cooked pasta

5. Add cheeses one at a time stirring constantly, until everything is melted and incorporated.

6. Bake for 40-45 minutes.

7. FOR CROCKPOT, follow directions 1-5 leave your crockpot on low and cook for 4 hours.

Samantha from Manchester, NH says:
This Baked mac and cheese is so creamy and delicious. it's great for a crock pot too. there are never any leftovers when I make this dish. SO YUMMY!!! SIDENOTE: I throw it under the broiler for an extra four min. just because I love the to top to be brown and a little crispy. but again that's personal preference. ANOTHER SIDENOTE!: I made it again this weekend and instead of pepperjack I used Cabots Habenero Cheddar. It was very spicy but SOOO good =)
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/pasta/ooey-gooey-mac-and-cheese 2.html?utm_source=spo...