Trusted Contributor

Re: I need a new Mac & Cheese recipe, please -- all you good cooks out there???

I actually have a great one that is done in the Crock Pot. Not saying it is a healthy recipe, but it is easy and always a hit. I have made it for Superbowl and other events. It comes out very creamy.

If you are interested, just let me know.

We have also changed it up by making it a Cheeseburger Mac 'n' Cheese by stirring in some cooked ground beef at the end...and even crumbled bacon (with or without the ground beef).

Trusted Contributor

Hi Gloria. Nice to see you again! I would love it if you would post your recipe! Thanks in advance. Hope you are doing well sweetie.
Esteemed Contributor

I caught an episode of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" one evening and found the first entry was a bar/bistro just blocks from the school my daughter attended K-8. The Mac and Cheese was not an ordinary Mac and Cheese, which appealed to me, plus it looked fabulous and I wanted to reach into the television and take a bite. Here's the recipe. I've made it a number of times and keep going back for more.

Paul’s Mac N Cheese with Pancetta

5 Stars

Source: “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives,” Tee-Off Restaurant, Clement Street, San Francisco

Oh my goodness, but this stuff is great!

1-1/2 lbs ziti pasta (pounds not cups)

½ lb pancetta, chopped

1-1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese, plus extra for topping

1-1/2 cups grated Asiago cheese, plus extra for topping

1-1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping

1-1/2 cup grated Provolone cheese, plus extra for topping

1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping

2 cups heavy cream (original recipe calls for 1.5 c)

Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook ziti until al dente. Drain and rinse in cool water. In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook pancetta until it is crispy and the fat has rendered. In the same pan, add all of the cheeses and the cream and whisk until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slowly add the cooked ziti to the cheese mixture, stirring gently. Transfer the ziti and cheese mixture to a large baking dish or cast iron skillet. Top off with more cheese and bake for 24-30 minutes.

Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant.

Trusted Contributor

Respected Contributor

Thanks! I just now had an easy stovetop mac and cheese with my brussel sprouts for supper. I herbed it up with some Mrs. Dash. It is really good!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/25/2015 LilBitMissty said: Hi Gloria. Nice to see you again! I would love it if you would post your recipe! Thanks in advance. Hope you are doing well sweetie.

Nice to see you again, too!

Here is the recipe. As I said above, we have also changed this into a Cheddar Mac (or Bacon Cheddar Mac) by stirring in about a pound of browned ground beef and crispy, crumbled bacon at the end. I serve it in the Crock-Pot and set it to warm. I remember seeing somewhere a suggestion to stir this a couple of times, and I do that. One time at the end, just before serving, I stirred in a bit of milk because it looked like it needed it, the other times I didn't have to. I also read somewhere to spray the Crock-Pot with Pam first. I have seen this recipe a couple of places online, so I have picked up tips here and there.

Forgot this is a Crockin' Girls recipe. They have been on the Q.

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/cheddar-mac/

Hope you try it some time. It seems to be a crowd-pleaser. I have some very picky eaters at some of our parties and this is one of the few things some of them would eat.

Gloria

Esteemed Contributor

I'm SO glad someone brought this thread back up! I didn't even know it was still on the boards... I had printed out the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe last year (posted by Oceantown), and never tried it, and now I can't find it. So now it's here on page 1 and I can finally get around to trying it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I've been using David Venable's Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese with Country Smoked Bacon recipe. It calls for a jar of Alfredo Sauce, and I've been using the Bacon Flavored kind. I've also played around with the cheeses, etc., but it's a great recipe! It's on his recipes here on QVC.com. Thanks to all who posted recipes... I'm going to try some more!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/26/2015 kittymomNC said:

I'm SO glad someone brought this thread back up! I didn't even know it was still on the boards... I had printed out the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe last year (posted by Oceantown), and never tried it, and now I can't find it. So now it's here on page 1 and I can finally get around to trying it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I've been using David Venable's Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese with Country Smoked Bacon recipe. It calls for a jar of Alfredo Sauce, and I've been using the Bacon Flavored kind. I've also played around with the cheeses, etc., but it's a great recipe! It's on his recipes here on QVC.com. Thanks to all who posted recipes... I'm going to try some more!

WOW! Hadn't noticed it started 3/25/14 not 15!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Gloria said:
On 3/26/2015 kittymomNC said:

<em>I'm SO glad someone brought this thread back up!</em> I didn't even know it was still on the boards... I had printed out the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe last year (posted by <em>Oceantown</em>), and never tried it, and now I can't find it. So now it's here on page 1 and I can finally get around to trying it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I've been using David Venable's <em>Three Cheese Macaroni & Cheese with Country Smoked Bacon</em> recipe. It calls for a jar of Alfredo Sauce, and I've been using the Bacon Flavored kind. I've also played around with the cheeses, etc., but it's a great recipe! It's on his recipes here on QVC.com. Thanks to all who posted recipes... I'm going to try some more!

WOW! Hadn't noticed it started 3/25/14 not 15!

It sure surprised me when I saw it... I guess great recipes just never fade away! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Truth be told, I've never used a recipe for this. I just make it.

I don't make it too often, though. There are just two of us and most of my cooking is done for just me, anyway, as he eats at the office most of the time. So when I want macaroni and cheese I make just a one or two serving deal on the stove. What I like about making such a small quantity is that I don't even need to make a roux or béchamel, and it still is very good.

One thing is the seasonings. I've seen a lot of recipes that use cayenne pepper. I found that all that did was add a little hot but didn't contribute at all to flavor. So what I do, in the stead of that ingredients, is to add a little chili powder or taco seasoning.

I also like to use a little powdered mustard, plus white pepper and kosher salt.

Anyway - just a few ideas from the chicken coop. Smiley Happy