Trusted Contributor

Re: I need a new Mac & Cheese recipe, please -- all you good cooks out there???

On 3/27/2014 RespectLife said:

Oh Katey! YUM! I love goat cheese! Thanks for posting that recipe! I am definitely trying that one!

Your very welcome.

Esteemed Contributor

I just want to thank everyone again for the terrific recipes! Something came up and I haven't been able to try any yet, but my mouth just waters when I read back over some of them. I'm sure my son will thank you as well - I told him about this and he's waiting patiently for me to get cookin'! Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

I love Macaroni and Cheese Stovetop and creamy. If anyone has a recipe for this please post. I don't care for eggs in mine or baked.

Regular Contributor

I was on the hunt for well more than a year for a good mac & cheese recipe. I tried 2 of Paula Deen's, Patti Labelle's, Dag Gum That's Good, David V's, but I have to agree with betteb....the recipe of Wolfgang Pucks is the BEST one out of all I tried....Dag Gum's would be a second choice.

Honored Contributor

If you buy Muellers elbow macaroni there is a very simple and delicious recipe on the box. I often embellish it with various cheeses or diced up leftover ham or crumbled bacon. i alway sprinkle a slight bit of nutmeg on the top- be careful - a slight bit - too much is overwhelming. I have also added broccoli to the cassarole but I actually prfer my veggies on the side as I don't like them overcooked. Some nice roasted veggies made in the oven at the same time as the mac & ch are always good.
Trusted Contributor

On 4/9/2014 happy housewife said: If you buy Muellers elbow macaroni there is a very simple and delicious recipe on the box. I often embellish it with various cheeses or diced up leftover ham or crumbled bacon. i alway sprinkle a slight bit of nutmeg on the top- be careful - a slight bit - too much is overwhelming. I have also added broccoli to the cassarole but I actually prfer my veggies on the side as I don't like them overcooked. Some nice roasted veggies made in the oven at the same time as the mac & ch are always good.

happy housewife please share the recipe and the cheeses you use. We don't have this brand.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2014 Katey1261 said:

I love Macaroni and Cheese Stovetop and creamy. If anyone has a recipe for this please post. I don't care for eggs in mine or baked. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

You can make the recipe in post #16 on the stove top, I have. It's very creamy. Yummy.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Frequent Contributor

This is my favorite mac and cheese recipe. I saw Rachael Ray make it on her show a few years ago and it has been a hit for whomever I make it. It can be a bit expensive to make, but well worth it.

Spinach and Artichoke Mac 'n' Cheese

Ingredients

• Salt
  • 1 pound semolina or whole wheat penne
  • 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 2 cups milk
  • Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon or to taste
  • 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
  • 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped artichokes, defrosted and wrung dry in a kitchen towel
  • Black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian Fontina cheese, plus additional for sprinkling on top
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus additional for sprinkling on top

Yields: 4 servings

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375F and place rack in the middle of the oven. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.

While the pasta water comes to a boil, place a medium pot over medium-low heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons, and the butter. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook the veggies until very soft, about 10 minutes.

Turn the heat up to medium-high and sprinkle the flour into the pan. Cook for about 1 minute then whisk the wine into the pan, cooking for another minute to burn off the alcohol. Whisk the milk into the pan and bring up to a bubble. Add the nutmeg, spinach, artichokes, salt and pepper to the sauce and simmer until thickened and vegetables are warmed through, 2-3 minutes more. Add 1 cup of each of the cheeses to the sauce and stir until melted.

Toss the prepared sauce with the cooked pasta and transfer to a casserole dish. Sprinkle some more Fontina and Parmigiano over the top and bake until the cheese has melted and the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Valued Contributor

On 4/10/2014 Katey1261 said:
On 4/9/2014 happy housewife said: If you buy Muellers elbow macaroni there is a very simple and delicious recipe on the box. I often embellish it with various cheeses or diced up leftover ham or crumbled bacon. i alway sprinkle a slight bit of nutmeg on the top- be careful - a slight bit - too much is overwhelming. I have also added broccoli to the cassarole but I actually prfer my veggies on the side as I don't like them overcooked. Some nice roasted veggies made in the oven at the same time as the mac & ch are always good.

happy housewife please share the recipe and the cheeses you use. We don't have this brand.

Katey1261 -

I did a search and found a recipe on Mueller's site - There are other recipes, too! Smiley Happy

http://www.muellerspasta.com/recipes/old-fashioned-baked-macaroni-and-cheese

Old Fashioned Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients

8 oz (1/2 pkg)Mueller's Elbows
¼ Cup margarine or butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 Teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 Teaspoon salt (optional)
1/8 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups milk
2 Cups (8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup croutons

Cooking Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350°F.
• Cook pasta for 3 minutes and drain.
• In medium saucepan, melt margarine. Blend in flour, mustard, salt, and pepper.
• Cook until mixture is smooth and bubbly; gradually add milk.
• Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
• Gradually mix in cheese. Stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
• Add pasta; mix lightly. Pour into 2-quart casserole.
• Top with croutons. Bake 25 minutes.

Not applicable

I make this recipe for Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe for company and family dinners! I always have numerous requests for the recipe!

Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe

1 (7oz) pkg. Macaroni

2 C cottage cheese

1 C sour cream

1 egg, slightly beaten

3/4 tsp. salt

pepper to taste

8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

paprika

Cook macaroni and drain. Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, and pepper. Add shredded cheese. Stir in cooked macaroni. Put in a greased baking dish, sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!