Honored Contributor

I made this easy-PEAsy soup yesterday đź‘Ť đź‘Ť

If you're looking for an easy soup and a way to use up some of that leftover holiday ham, try this one.

I had about 8 oz of leftover ham in the freezer, and not a lot of time to prepare dinner.  I found this recipe and made it in my crock pot yesterday. It was excellent and very easy.

*I softened the celery, onions and garlic in the butter, on the stovetop,     before adding them to the crock.

*I cooked it on low for 6 hours.

*I used an immersion blender to puree the soup before serving.

*DH had his with a grilled cheese sandwich.

1508123.jpg

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 ribs celery, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 pound ham, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 pound dried split peas
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place the butter in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Stir in onion, celery, and sliced garlic. Cook slowly until the onions are translucent but not brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
  2. Mix in ham, bay leaf, and split peas. Pour in chicken stock and water. Stir to combine, and simmer slowly until the peas are tender and the soup is thick, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper to serve.

Here's the original web recipe.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: I made this easy-PEAsy soup yesterday đź‘Ť đź‘Ť

@house_cat

Ooooo! This looks so good and reminds me... growing up we had split pea soup with white wine and sour cream on top! A gourmet treat!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat

Love 💚💚💚💚split pea soup. Made a batch after Christmas with the honey baked ham leftovers. Your soup and sandwich looks so yummy❣️

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby

In the name of full disclosure - that photo is from the website :-)

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat

Oh! Ok, you're too sweet! Lol : )

⚓️
Respected Contributor

Yum!  One of my favorite soups is split pea with ham.  It's warm and comforting, especially on a cold winter day like many of us are having lately.   I like to add a few crunchy (store bought) croutons on the top after ladling it in a bowl.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

OK, I confess. The spiral ham slices are in the freezer so I could use the bone for Pea soup!  Yummy in this freezing cold weather!  Stay warm all!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your honesty - I know it's only a picture of soup - but I see pictures on here that I question.  I hate when people take credit for something they didn't building, make or do.  So to you, I again say - Thank You.

Super Contributor

This looks really tasty ! I use the same ingredients and substitute canned, drained butter beans for the peas. I usually hand smush (technical term) some of the butter beans to thicken soup....now I will look into the immersion blender...never thought of that, but I have a couple of gift cards...hmmmm

Honored Contributor

@Shiloh09

I've purchased a lot of regrettable kitchen items over the years, but my immersion blender is a keeper.  Once you have one, you'll find you use it more than you thought you would.

~ house cat ~