Respected Contributor

I made the Gluten free banana bread...follow-up

I used Pillsbury gluten free flour, it has the binder already added.  I followed a gluten free recipe for banana bread, and it  came great, tastes delicious!   I added about a cup of walnuts, and a few (maybe 1/4 cup) dark chocolate chips.  The recipe called for 2 TBS milk, I used half n half.  So, anyway, I wanted to post back to let those of you who helped me on my last post, that it worked out delish, and can't tell any difference from regular flour.

I'm just trying gluten free for myself, for a couple weeks.  I have chronic skin issues, and am a patient at Mayo Clinic.  My Derm there just recently tested me for Celiacs disease, which is negative...but I thought to give this a try anyway.  It seems likely, my skin rashes are related to a health problem I have, and not gluten.  Oh well...we shall see.

Honestly...I hope it's not from Gluten, because I want pizza, bagels and macaroni!!    Yeah, and the real deal...not those frozen, weird things either.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: I made the Gluten free banana bread...follow-up

Certainly can't hurt, we don't need gluten but I think it would take more than a few weeks off gluten to really test that theory. 

Honored Contributor

I have been gluten free for over 30 years.  It used to bother me, but not anymore.  I no longer even eat substitute breads, cakes and other gluten free goodies.

Almost all gluten free items made with substitutes for wheat flour are very high in calories.   

Many people who do not have Celiac disease do have wheat allergies and do better without it.

Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease where gluten destroys the small intestine.  The body attacks itself.

An allergy to wheat produces histamines when introduced into the body which can cause skin rashes among other things, but does no damage to your intestines.  You could have a gluten allergy, but not Celiac disease.

Best of luck.  I hope you see great results.

Respected Contributor

My nephew has a wheat allergy.  It causes him to be unable to control his bowels with sudden movements.

Valued Contributor

I found a new (to me) cooking show called Hemsley Hemsley on ZLiving station 218 in my area (Orlando Fl.)  They made a gluten free babana bread in their food processor.  They added sliced bananas on top.  I had never seen that done before.  They are gluten free, refined sugar free and grain free.  I haven't tried any of their recipes yet, just found them yesterday.  They also have a cookbook out in 2016.  They also have a blog hemsleyandhemsley.com/blog if anyone is interested.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@m0rgan, Thank you for posting! I will check out local listings, but gluten free, sugar free and dairy free is for me!

I didn't think I had a wheat problem-aside from carb intolerance, but I would get this weird edema to the point that I could barely wear shoes.  Last summer, it looked as if cellulitis was setting in.  BTW, I also had chronic constipation requiring prescription medication-and that drove me crazy! Somebody who consumes 35 gms of fiber per day should not have that problem.

Three times in one week I read/heard about dangers of gluten....I am diabetic and I have auto-immune disease.  I figured I had nothing to lose by going gluten free. I didn't need any testing...the response was pretty immediate. The chronic constipation and edema went away. A few weeks later, I "tested" myself by having bread/ pasta and the symptoms came back.  ,I gave it up and never looked back.

I do use alternatives, but no rice. I love beans and they are part of my diet, so I'm not strict paleo. We eat out a lot, but I make great choices-available everywhere, and I'm mindful of portions. My labs are fantastic and my doctors don't want me to lose anymore weight.  Never in a million years did I think I would hear those words!

Thankfully I'm not sensitive to the point where I have to concern myself with gluten-free condiments. Some people are highly sensitive: I'm not there.

There may be something to the anti-gluten movement, but I will not be so presumptuous as to insist that everybody needs to give it up.  We can all decide for ourselves!

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

@Poodlepet2

You're welcome.  I think I am gluten sensitive.  I just get that over-bloated feeling if I eat too much so I avoid gluten as much as possible but like you I am not obsessed about it.