Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm making Kolacky cookies this weekend

@Carmie thank you!!  I would have probably bought pie filling and ended up with it running all over my oven.  

Respected Contributor

I found this recipe last night and am planning to make some of those with cream cheese filling, or pineapple.

https://www.food.com/recipe/kolachki-kolacky-kolachy-kolace-kolachi-kolache-kolachke-81373?photo=886...

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

Would you be willing to share your recipe with us?

Not that I don't trust food.com, LOL, it is just nicer to have a tried and true recipe.

Are they usually squares like the food.com link shows?

For some reason I thought they were long logs, like a Kiffle.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting that recipe @Scooby Doo 

The walnut mixture also sounds so good to me...better than fruit!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@Carmie 

Would you be willing to share your recipe with us?

Not that I don't trust food.com, LOL, it is just nicer to have a tried and true recipe.

Are they usually squares like the food.com link shows?

For some reason I thought they were long logs, like a Kiffle.

my recipe is simple and easy.

Kolacky

1/2 lb butter

1/2 lb cream real cream cheese

3 cups of all purpose flour

Beat butter and cream cheese in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.  Slowly add flour and mix well.  Chill the dough.

Roll out the dough on a board sprinkled with powdered sugar and cut into circles or squares. I cut mine out small, maybe 1.5" square.  Square is easier and makes the work go faster.  I use a pizza cutter.

Add a small amount of Solo on the center of the cut out cookie dough and fold the dough and pinch together. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 350 for around 10 min. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. They should be light brown on the bottoms.

When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Here is what they should look like.  This photo is not mine, though.  I haven't  made this cookie yet for Christmas this year. Maybe today.

AC6FA69C-49AC-47C0-B9AB-82D83E6ECC4E.jpeg

An update.  I made mine today, but instead of rolling, cutting and filling, I rolled the dough into a ball ( I used a teaspoon cookie scoop) and made a thumb print hole and filled them.  I added two additional minutes to the baking time and they turned out awesome.

Same great taste in no time at all.   I made two batches.  The prune/ plum in the traditional shape and the cherry in the tumb print cookies.  The pic below is my cookies in a lock and lock pie carrier.

• 9B616111-4B16-4810-AD26-1569FC333A3C.jpeg
Valued Contributor

My family is from Eastern Europe, so I have a special fondness to kolacky! If you use a jam (vs a cream cheese), make sure it's a thicker consistency jam. Enjoy! I'm sure they'll be delicious! 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I can't thank you enough for that recipe!  They are simple ingredients!

I am going to be on the look out for Solo Pastry fillings and hope to try these soon!

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Over the years we've had great time doing cookie exchange parties.

I am offering you this recipe from a wonderful lady from Poland who made these every year & I always make them for the cookie trays.  A very light cookie -- I fill with Solo (prune, apricot) and red seedless raspberry & strawberry jams.

Well i was going to post recipe a pic of recipe card but this darn website is "acting up". I'll try later🤷‍♀️

Cream Cheese Kolacky

6 tablespoons milk or cream

3 cups AP flour

1 lb (4 sticks) margarine (not spread) or butter

2- 3oz packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Cream butter & cheese, add flour & cream.  Pull all together -- Makes a "stiff" dough, wrap discs in plastic wrap & refrigerate several hours (2-3 hours).

Roll out on floured board to 1/4" thick.  Cut in diamond shape put filling in middle turn up 2 corners & pinch.

Can also cut in 1.5"- 2" circles (for larger cookie)& put filling in middle fold up sides and pinch.

Bake 375 degrees for 15 minutes until edges are "golden brown".

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and store in air tight container. 

They also freeze well.  

(This recipe make about 6 -10 dozen)

For less: you could cut recipe in 1/2.

@Knit-Chick