Honored Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a recipe for a side dish........

Wow, thank you SANTORINI I have a pressure cooker and will definitely give your Green Bean recipe a try, this will be a large gathering, FORRESTWOLF, I've copied your recipes; they both sound easy and delicious! The Tomato Pie sounds perfect and high on my list! The Grape Salad I'm sure would look festive, yum! BIRKIN BABY, I will search for the Scalloped Potatoes; can always use another good one! Again, thank you all very much.....Helen
~H~
Respected Contributor

All these sides sound delicious.
Super Contributor

This is one of our family favorites, and if I'm not doing the turkey, this is the next dish I'm asked to make.

The orange juice gives a fresh, light citrus flavor that really complements the sweet potatoes. You can also use pineapple-orange juice, or I've even used pineapple juice and added some crushed pineapple. If you like marshmallows on top of your sweet potatoes, add some minis at the end of the baking time and bake until melted and browned.

Preheat oven to 375.

Cook and mash sweet potatoes. (I boil mine, then shock them in cold water so the skins peel off easily. But you could bake them, too.)

For every CUP of potatoes add:

1 1/4 tsp. butter (I've cut back to 1/2 tsp. with just as good results)

1 Tbsp. brown sugar

1/2 tsp. grated orange rind (if I use fresh oranges I'll do this, otherwise you can leave out and it's fine)

3 Tbsp. orange juice (of course, fresh squeezed tastes best, but carton or juice made from frozen is fine)

1/2 tsp. salt (this can be reduced to 1/4 tsp. with just as good results)

Mix all together and place in a baking dish or hollowed orange rinds made into cups. Sprinkle the top with brown sugar, paprika and nutmeg (I've also used cinnamon instead of the paprika, which is just for color. The cinnamon adds more flavor. If you use paprika, I'd suggest the sweeter Hungarian if you have it). Cover dish and bake for 30 min. (15 min. if you use orange cups). Remove the cover and bake until they are brown on top (about 15 min. more). If you like marshmallows on top of your sweet potatoes, add them the last few minutes of baking.

Contributor

Pineapple Casserole 1 cup sugar 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour 2 cups grated sharp cheddar 2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved 1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz) 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 birkin baby said: All these sides sound delicious.
I agree.....Thanks, Jetts_Mom and Sylva! Our dinner party is Christmas Eve, so I've got time to test I think ALL these recipes. These are "keepers" for sure!
~H~