Honored Contributor

I'm crazy about slow-cooker meals, but....

[ Edited ]

I think I want to do a few casseroles too.  So do you like slow-cookers better, or casseroles.  Oh I love my stove top meals too, but between slow-cooker and casseroles, which works best for you and yours?  Either one can give you left-overs.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm crazy about slow-cooker meals, but....

@qualitygal I am a slow cooker girl as well.  I am not a fab cook, so I do stay away from the casseroles.  BUT I run out of things to make in the slow cooker.  Sounds like you know what your doing....I would love a few good ideas from you.  I am stuck with beef stew and ribs and chicken.  Thats all I ever do.

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

@qualitygal I am a slow cooker girl as well.  I am not a fab cook, so I do stay away from the casseroles.  BUT I run out of things to make in the slow cooker.  Sounds like you know what your doing....I would love a few good ideas from you.  I am stuck with beef stew and ribs and chicken.  Thats all I ever do.

Pulled pork and pulled chicken.....recipes on line at Allrecipes.  Went across some today.  But I'll post some, later on as we try them and if there's any we really like. OK?  We can always use new ideas.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a slow-cooker pork chop idea to try out:

FARM-STYLE PORK CHOPS--4 to 6 servings

From Southern Living Annual Recipes, 2002

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup orange marmalade

2 tablespoons ketchup

1 garlic clove, pressed

4 pounds boneless pork chops

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Stir together first 4 ingredients. 

Brush sauce on both sides of pork.

Place in 5-qt. slow cooker, and pour remaining sauce over pork.

Cook covered on low 7-1/2 hours or until tender.

Remove from cooker.

Skim fat from sauce and whisk in flour until slightly thickened.

Serve over pork chops.

Regular Contributor

Boy, that is a tough one.  I love my crock-pot, but I love casseroles too.  How about a casserole that can be cooked in the crock-pot?    http://margaretsmorsels.blogspot.com/2012/03/crock-pot-cooking.html

Honored Contributor

I use my crockpot often - a habit from when I was  working 12 hour shifts. I loved being able to come home to a completed meal. I make spaghetti sauce, of course stews and soups,pot roast, pork roast, sauerkraut, stuffed peppers, or stuffed cabbage,chili. Lately I've used it to make lasagna and it comes out delicious but you have to scoop it out with a spoon instead of cut pieces.Severasl bean recipes, like sausage & beans. The crock pot is ideal for beans because it cooks long & slow. I also love it for making hot sausage with peppers & onions in tomato sauce for hot sausage sandwiches. Every Thanksgiving I use it to make my stuffing.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal, thank you it sounds good.

Thanks to the rest as well, wow lasagna, that sounds awesome.  I need to go on some sites to get the how to's...I truly am not utilizing the crock pot as it can be used.

Honored Contributor

I don't make casseroles because most times everything has to be cooked before putting the actual casserole together to put it in the oven.

I love crockpot meals and sheet pan dinners too.

Honored Contributor

If you like Eye Round roast it's good in the crockpot.

I brown the 3-4 lb roast with a little salt, pepper, garlic powder & onion powder in some olive oil, remove from pan, deglaze pan with a cup of broth. Mix broth with a package of gravy, whisk until blended. Add 1 c red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot

Place onions-diced, 2" chunks-carrots, potatoes-quartered & celery on bottom of crockpot, place roast on top, add can of cream of mushroom soup plus broth with gravy & wine.

Strain the sauce when finished & add about 1 T flour for gravy to serve with roast & veggies.

Slow cook 8 hrs on low or until tender.

Honored Contributor

I tend to like meat dishes cooked in the slow cooker, but prefer side dishes baked in the oven as a casserole.