Respected Contributor

Re: I'm confused about the strawberry filling...

@house_cat 

I may be related to your DH!  My mom used those pizza mixes when I was young and we sure ate them. My dad made the best fried baloney sandwiches. It is so funny how we have food memories and tastes linked to what we grew up with. Fortunately my parents made many other better ingredient items.

I like strawberry shortcake many different ways. I had it once with a lemon sponge cake. It was awesome. It was good with a chocolate sponge cake as well. The sweet biscuits we used definitely had sugar in them and did not taste like biscuits. There was the texture difference with the biscuit having a crunchy type exterior and soft on the inside. I can certainly understand how you form attachments to the recipe you perceive as normal.

I just wish that we had strawberries and peaches longer!

When is it going to be ready? I am on my way with my fork!

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

A wonderful Strawberry Shortcake from the Winter Strawberry capital, Plant City, Florida.

Related image

Biscuit or sponge cake, macerated strawberries and lots of whipped cream!  Top with a whole berry!  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I make strawberry shortcake often when berries are in season.  My go to is Bisquick....a little milk and the berries, delicious!

Honored Contributor

@doxie1  and anyone else who wants to join us.

Saturday 7 pm

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I have not had strawberry shortcake in years.  My DM used to purchase those sponge cake offerings at the grocery store, macerate strawberries and serve that over those individual cakes.  She would whip fresh whipped cream and that was strawberry shortcake growing up.   I never cared for those sponge cakes.  I would just eat the strawberries and whipped cream.   I think I would like but never tried this recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.  If that doesn't appeal to you, try looking at Life, Love and Sugar.  

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/easy-homemade-strawberry-shortcake/

https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/easy-strawberry-shortcake-recipe/  (there are a couple of offerings here)

Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

I will be ready!

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady 

Both of those look like they would give you some texture that would be good.

The ones we usually make are drop biscuits so we do not have to roll them. I have made tea biscuits that would be good with this too.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 

I think biscuits would be great for strawberry shortcake!  I have made some recipes from both of the above mentioned websites and find them to be stellar.   Both ladies really take time to explain lots of details to their recipes-I even read the ones I know I will never make or the ones I know we probably wouldn't care for as far as flavor profile, just because I know I am going to learn something!  And I'm looking 63 in the eye now.  These women constantly amaze me by what they accomplish.

Honored Contributor

I baked the layers and made the filling this morning.

I'll put the cake together and make the whipped cream tomorrow.  I can hardly wait to taste it!

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I had to restrain myself from wanting to get into the screen of this tablet and sampling your strawberry filling.  It looks so delicious!!!  Hope you have a great luncheon tomorrow!