Honored Contributor

I'm confused about the strawberry filling...

I'm making a simple version of a strawberry shortcake.

I'll be making three layers of cake (white cake mix), with strawberry filling between layers, and a stabilized whipped cream for the frosting.

I'm not sure, though, what to use for the filling.  Should I simply use macerated strawberries, or is there a cooked version that would be richer?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm confused about the strawberry filling...

i like using fresh strawberries that have been tossed with some strawberry jam.

you can warm up the jam to make it a bit more liquidy and easier to use. allow to cool down a little before adding in the sliced fresh strawberries. it looks good AND tastes good.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Why not find a strawberry pie recipe and use the filling in your cake?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@house_cat   For a strawberry cake filling I just rinse the cut up fresh strawberries, place in a bowl, cover with sugar, and refrigerate so that a syrup is formed after a few hours, or better, overnight.  I reserve a few of the best large ones to use as decoration on the top layer.  Or you could do to them what I do to raspberries for a lemon birthday cake filling:

For a raspberry filling I rinse, dry, and place lots of fresh raspberries in a saucepan with some kirsch or Amaretto di Saronno, heat on low and reduce.

After it has cooled I either press it through a mesh sieve or,  even easier, pulse in the Vitamix to pulverize the seeds.

I am confident whatever you choose your cake will be divine.  Hope others post some great ideas for you.

You are doing the New York bakery type stawberry shortcake, aren't you.  That was what I originally was familiar with and loved.  Then we moved from New Jersey to Connecticut and I was introduced to the New England, biscuit, version which I also love.

Again, success with your cake!  Now I need to find something to bake, you've made me crave a dessert.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

I think you hit on something that was confusing me.  Growing up in NY, strawberry shortcake was more or less what I described in my OP.  Later on, we started using angel food cake with whipped cream, very casual.  Then I realized that some people use biscuits. Very confusing.  Maybe NY style is what I have in mind - I hadn't thought of it that way.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Why not find a strawberry pie recipe and use the filling in your cake?

I found this one that I was thinking of trying....

Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 9.45.26 AM.png

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@house_cat 

My fork is ready however you make it!

I have had it with cake,and sweet biscuits. Yum. I think the macerate strawberries will run through the cake more and not appear as much as a layer. The strawberry filling recipe you posted will give you a separate layer because it will be thicker.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I know there definitely are regional differences for stawberry shortcake.  Son-in-law is from Florida.  His parents are originally from Virginia.  He and my daughter rent a house on the shoreline in Connecticut every July.  About five years ago my daughter announced that she was going to make this for dessert.  When he came in from the beach later with my oldest grandson, then a toddler, he saw the biscuits, which were not at all sweet, and the fresh strawberries and whipped cream and said "This isn't strawberry shortcake."

My daughter:  "Of course it is.  What do you mean?"  He then described his mother's version which is the kind you are making.

To which my daughter's answer was:  "Welcome to New England.  This is how we roll with strawberry shortcake here.  This is what we grew up with!"  (He very much appreciates her over the top culinary skills but in his heart of hearts I know for this dessert he is wistful for his mother's version.)

Honored Contributor

my favorite is using a white cake or french vanilla cake.....never an angel food cake.

i have had it with biscuits, sara lee pound cake, and puff pastry. my favorite is still with the white cake or french vanilla cake.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

You can put any kind of strawberry shortcake in front of me and I'll be sure to smile.

I guess it's normal for your SIL to feel that way about his mom's cooking.  Nothing's ever as good as mom made it.  My husband often talks fondly about his mother's "s*%t on a shingle", salmon cakes made with canned salmon, fried baloney sandwiches and pizza made with a boxed kit (below)....

5ba3e08485e1c.image.jpg

~ house cat ~