Honored Contributor

I have two very ripe bananas

Any good recipes for banana bread? Or any other ideas? TIA! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: I have two very ripe bananas

Freeze them and use them to sweeten up smoothies.  

Honored Contributor

Banana pancakes? Muffins?  Popcicles  brrrr....I need to rethink that one!

Honored Contributor

Cut them up and freeze.  Make banana ice cream in Vitamix.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Banana Bread

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, slightly soft
2 eggs
2 medium (or 3 small) bananas
1/4 cup buttermilk*
1 cup chopped nutmeats

Equipment: 9x5x3" loaf pan

Preheat oven: 350º

Grease pan. Chop and measure nutmeats. Sift flour once; measure and sift with the soda and salt onto waxed paper. In medium-sized mixer bowl, combine sugar , butter and eggs. Add the bananas, cut into chunks. 

Start mixer at slow speed, then increase speed as bananas become mashed. Beat just until smoothly mixed – a couple of minutes or so – then reduce speed to slow and add sifted dry ingredients in three additions, alternately with the buttermilk, in two additions.

Remove beaters; stir in nuts. Turn into prepared loaf pan. Bake about 1 hour for large loaf, or until toothpick stuck in center of loaf comes out clean. You’ll have to use your judgement for smaller loaves – it depends on size, but you can tell when they are beginning to brown and break from pan sides – that’s time to test, probably after about 25 minutes.

A crack down center is typical of all breads of this sort – many think it makes them more attractive. If it bothers you, place a sheet of foil lightly over pan during first half of baking period, then uncover to permit to brown and finish baking.

Mrs. G's notes:

* Substitutions: 1/4 cup whipping cream with lemon juice added. Let sit at room temperature.

Plain yogurt also works well.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I find myself scrambling for ways to use up ripe bananas on a regular basis.   No one here likes banana bread, so I usually use them in a smoothie, warmed in a skillet with some brown sugar and poured over ice cream, sliced into the bottom of a graham cracker pie crust and covered with pudding, or my favorite way is a dessert quesadilla.   Heat a skillet on the stove till it is very warm; spread peanut butter on the inside of 2 tortillas, add sliced bananas and chocolate chips on one tortilla, top with the second and warm in the skillet until the chocolate chips are melted.   I've also used thinly sliced apples for this quick dessert.   

Honored Contributor

The below just came up on my pinterest today and I thought it was interesting enough to pin for maybe later.  My son loves all things banana so I am always looking for new ideals.

http://www.dizzybusyandhungry.com/pan-fried-cinnamon-bananas/

Pan Fried Cinnamon Bananas

• 2 slightly overripe bananas
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (you can substitute granulated Splenda, if you like)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • Olive oil spray
  • Slice the bananas into rounds, approximately ⅓ inch thick.
  • In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
  • Spray a large skillet with olive oil spray. Warm over medium heat.
  • Add the banana rounds and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
  • During the last minute of cooking on the first side, sprinkle about ½ of the cinnamon mixture over the banana rounds.
  • Flip the rounds, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon mixture, and cook about 2-3 more minutes, until the bananas are soft and warmed through.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I break them into 1-2 inch pieces and put them in the freezer for smoothies.

Respected Contributor

I love Martha Stewart's Banana Bread recipe (made with sour cream - very moist).  Sorry, I don't have access to the recipe right now, so I can't post it.

Honored Contributor

My DH likes Cream of Wheat and when I have bananas, they get mashed and added to the cream of wheat....I can't stand that ceral but he likes it!