Respected Contributor

Re: I have cooked for 50 yrs. but I'm stumped..

@lovesrecess   This is why i enjoy the recipes and kitchen forums so much.  You try to help out someone else and get rewarded with other great ideas!

And they do still sell the orange juice concentrate in the supermarkets.  

Esteemed Contributor

Pork Steaks are a huge part of the St. Louis summer. More pork steaks are sold in St. Louis grocery stores over the Memorial Day holiday that any other part of the country. I'd never heard of them until I moved here 45 years  ago. Slow cookers aren't a very good way to cook them.

The only way they're cooked here is on the grill....Cook them over medium to medium high heat on a charcoal grill or a smoker for about 25 to 30 minutes, then baste them with barbeque sauce every 10 minutes - turning them each time for another 20 minutes. If you have a smoker, cook them on the smoke setting for 30 minutes and then turn the heat up to medium high.

Pork steaks are not the most tender and they need the flavor of barbeque sauce. They should end up slightly crispy around the edges and just well done in the center. The barbeque sauce needs to cook into the pork steak. Cooking them in the oven or a slow cooker will make them too greasy and won't crisp them up around the edges....grilling them is the only way to go. They're not meant to look or taste like a pork chop.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  lol   I'll be nice and not saying anything about his ex-wife.  The pork steaks will be more enjoyable. 

Honored Contributor

Use them to make pulled pork barbaque instead of steaks.

Pork shoulder, steaks and pork butt all the same and used to fix pulled pork.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)