Trusted Contributor

Re: I forgot how much I dislike oatmeal.

[ Edited ]

@4kitties 

You are welcome!  I have found this to be very beneficial for me.  I go every quarter to get my readings so I can make changes immediately, rather than wait for a yearly check.  Two tips - go by mid-morning (it usually runs 9-1 in the store I go to).  If there is a big turn out toward the end (last 2 hours) they will cut off the number of people so they can finish on time.  It takes time to poke the finger, get the reading and fill out the form.  Also, while you are waiting, try to warm your finger so the draw goes faster and more easily.  They stores can be fairly cold at times - summer is is A/C and winter they adjust for people wearing coats while they shop.  If your fingers are cold, it is harder to draw the blood.  It hurts more, takes longer and may take more than one poke.  If your finger is warm it is quick.  Sit on your hand - fingers up toward the warmth of your body - while you wait for your turn.  You will be glad you did.  This is a nice service Walmart offers and the have a few promotional give-aways they hand out at these events, too.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@Havarti 

Thank you for the tips!  My last cholesterol reading was up and I have tweaked my diet so that I can correct it.  It will be nice to have a couple of readings so I can tweak it even more if needed.  I want to do everything I can to maintain my health!  My blood sugar readings are always okay, so far.  But I do not want to take a statin as I know they can raise the blood sugar readings.  I have a lot of diabetes in my family history and work hard to eat properly, exercise regularly and keep my weight down.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties 

I discovered I had really high cholesterol numbers on a doctor's visit a few years ago and he wanted to put me on a statin.  I did NOT want that if I could find any other way.  Right at that time Andrew Lessman on HSN introduced ChocoNovo.  It is a chocolate candy with ingredients that help lower cholesterol...I didn't believe it (but, oh how I wanted it to be true).  So, I tried it and with just 2 yummy pieces of ChocoNovo each day my cholesterol numbers are perfect (corrected totally within a few months) and have stayed that way.  I couldn't believe it....and my doctor was shocked, but happy.  Every December they have their best pricing of the year - they will have it as a Today's Special.  I highly recommend giving it a try.  Then, just be sure to eat 2 pieces of really good ChocoNovo every day and be surprised at how it helps.  If you are pleased with the results, be sure to stock up before summer as they do not ship chocolate in the summer due to the heat.  That is why they offer their best pricing in the winter and most of us buy a year's worth all at once.  If you only want to try it for a few months first, just keep that in mind.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I like oatmeal and cream of wheat. Will eat either one for supper. I have grape nut flakes for breakfast. Oatmeal cookies to. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I realize I just found out about this but I think I just need a list of what I can eat.  It will be shorter than the list of what I can't/shouldn't.  I think I need a degree in chemistry to figure out what I can eat.

Naw.

It's really simple.

Low fat plant based whole foods....low fat is key (10% of diet)

for T2D prevention/reversal.

As for oatmeal, make it savory.

Stuff it with spinach, onions, turmeric...whatever spice.

It's really a no-brainer.

Honored Contributor

I'm not diabetic, and I buy instant oatmeal. 

Last time, I picked up a box of Quaker Raisin Date & Walnut.  I add some butter and a bit of Caramel Latte Coffee Mate along with extra water.  I like my oatmeal watery.

Delicious!

Next time I'm going to try the Cranberry Almond.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put in peanut butter and sweetener.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm diabetic and would never use an artificial sweetener (too many chemicals).

Once you are used to eating correctly, you don't miss sugar at all. It took 7-10 days for me. I haven't had any sugar or flour in the house for years. I do keep a jar of raw honey (for making occasional cookies or 100% grain toast with honey). That jar lasts 1-2 years.

Fresh fruits, veggies and (spicy) spices keep my palate very happy. I haven't needed to check by sugars with a meter for several years; my A1C's are that consistent and I no longer feel my sugars dropping.

I also walk at least one mile (usually much more) every day. Exercise is your best friend!   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@Havarti 

I will give that choco novo  a try.   Thank you for the info on it.  I will be checking it out when it is a special and the weather is cool.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I, too, could never finish a bowl of oatmeal.  But LHeartVED oatmeal cookies---go figure!

What I do like is *overnight* oatmeal.

I throw a cup of rolled oats in a glass dish, about a cup of coconut milk, some black chia seeds and stir it up, put the lid on and refridgerate.

Next morning, I'll stir it up more and put some in a bowl, add some walnuts or pecans and top it with some crunchy granola and maybe thaw out some frozen strawberries.  

All organic ingredients.

It is like dessert!  But other than a speck of granola on top, no sweeteners added  (unless i use reg coconut milk as opposed to unsweetened).

I don't do exact measurements, but I'm sure you can find them online.