Esteemed Contributor

Re: I forgot how much I dislike oatmeal.

I realize I just found out about this but I think I just need a list of what I can eat.  It will be shorter than the list of what I can't/shouldn't.  I think I need a degree in chemistry to figure out what I can eat.

It will be easier to stick to the same "safe" things.

I know eggs, plain yogurt, salads,  chicken, a little oil and vinegar on salad, low carb veggies.  I guess tuna in water. Maybe occasionally a slice of whole wheat bread or low carb wrap.

I eat very little beef now anyway.  Not wild about fish.

I ought to lose weight, there is nothing I like enough to over eat,

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 walnuts, fresh fruit (sliced peaches, bananas, raspberries, bluberries, blackberries.   Also use cinnamon and a little sugar free maple syrup and almond milk,

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I realize I just found out about this but I think I just need a list of what I can eat.  It will be shorter than the list of what I can't/shouldn't.  I think I need a degree in chemistry to figure out what I can eat.

It will be easier to stick to the same "safe" things.

I know eggs, plain yogurt, salads,  chicken, a little oil and vinegar on salad, low carb veggies.  I guess tuna in water. Maybe occasionally a slice of whole wheat bread or low carb wrap.

I eat very little beef now anyway.  Not wild about fish.

I ought to lose weight, there is nothing I like enough to over eat,

Didn't your doctor give you a printed list of acceptable foods? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Valued Contributor

You should try Scott's. Tasty plus you can look at this guy during breakfast.

A96CB997-5AD6-4A6F-8D63-A8776883D92E.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

My oatmeal breakfast of choice- delish!

I make this in a batch for the week:

1 C. steel cut oats

2 C. Bob's regular oatmeal (NOT quick cook or instant)

1/2 C freeze-dried strawberries (found at Aldi & Trader Joe's)

Process steel cut oats 20-30 seconds

add oats and strawberries and pulse 2-3 times to incorporate all

Place in a Lock & Lock container.

Place 1/2 cup oatmeal mix in a deep bowl (or you will have a mess!)

Add 1 C milk (any kind) and stir gently

Microwave on High 2 minutes. Let rest 1 minute

Stir, add milk if needed

Add I scoop Strawberry flavored protein powder and 1-2 T chopped almonds and mix all to incorporate.

Mix in 3 sliced strawberries, hulls removed.

Enjoy!

Delicious, healthy & complete breakfast ready in about 3 minutes. About the time it takes to make toast.

Can be topped w/ any berries or diced apples.

The flavored protein powder is what makes it! I buy Ideal Lean protein powder. See their FB page to order.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418  I got no list yet.  I found the do's and don't on diabetic websites.

I did have a whopping 1/2 cup of chili.  Picked out 80% of the meat. No crackers. Before knowing about this it would have been 1 cup of chili /Fritos Scoops. Truthfully, the plain 1/2 cup was plenty.  Didn't enjoy it without crackers or Fritos. 

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@mom2four0418  I got no list yet.  I found the do's and don't on diabetic websites.

I did have a whopping 1/2 cup of chili.  Picked out 80% of the meat. No crackers. Before knowing about this it would have been 1 cup of chili /Fritos Scoops. Truthfully, the plain 1/2 cup was plenty.  Didn't enjoy it without crackers or Fritos. 

Why did you pick out the meat? Unless it was because you didn’t like it it would have been fine to eat it. Meat is protein and will help to sow the absorption of the carbs from the beans. Beans can also be good depending on the quantity because they have fiber. 

If possible, try to get a referral to a nutritionist that has a background in diabetes. Also request a prescription for a meter and strips or go get a cheap store brand and start testing your blood sugar. Your meter will be your best gauge as to what’s good for you to eat. 

Honored Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly with @akaburtonfan--your glucose monitor is your best friend.  You can get suggestions, a list, or even a nutritionist's advice about what to do, but you have to find out how various foods are affecting you personally because everyone is different.  And you may be able to continue to eat your favorite foods, just not in the same quantities.  You have choices: i.e. less chili with a few crackers, or more chili with no crackers.

And right now, you're at a big disadvantage being sedentary.  Exercise plays a large part in what and how much you can eat.  Chili with crackers and a long walk afterwards, or no chili and a nap.

It's a learning experience.

Honored Contributor

I always have my oatmeal with fruit, most commonly a sliced banana or blueberries.  I add some almond milk and Splenda.  I cook it in the milk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Havarti 

THANK YOU so very much for the info on the quarterly Walmart Wellness Days.  I have been searching for this type of service.  I want to start to keep track of my readings between my yearly checkups and blood draws. I checked and the next one is January 11.

I like oatmeal and have it several times a week.  I like the Coach's Oats.  They are delicious!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward