Esteemed Contributor

Re: I forgot how much I dislike oatmeal.

Ugh....I've never liked oatmeal. Give me flavored cream of wheat with a little milk and I'm fine. I don't have a problem with dibetes though. Best of luck with that oatmeal!

Respected Contributor

I love plain oatmeal!

Valued Contributor

My secret oatmeal ingredient is pan roasted almonds.  I place sliced almonds in a dry frypan and cook them until they smell “nutty” and they turn slightly tan (about 1-2 minutes).  Sprinkle on top of cooked oatmeal.  I find that makes it better. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

try steel cut oats much better tasting and texture,

need to plan ahead just a bit 

as they take longer to cook, I make a batch and keep in the fridge

I like it with pom seeds or add a bit of splenda

@jackthebear @CrazyKittyLvr2  A couple of years ago, I found a recipe for making steel-cut oatmeal overnight in a slow cooker on these boards. Now it’s the only way we eat oatmeal. Everyone who tries it loves it. 

SLOW COOKER, APPLE CINNAMON STEEL-CUT OATMEAL 

2 apples, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (2 1/2 to 3 cups chopped) 

2 cups milk

2 cups water

1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats

2 tbsp. brown sugar (or other desired sweetener)

1 1/2 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon 

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

1 tbsp. ground flax seed (I omit this)

1/4 tsp. salt

Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, etc. I add a handful of dried cherries.

The original recipe called for using a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker, but I always make it in my 6 quart slow cooker with a Reynolds slow cooker liner.

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, except optional garnishes that you’ll add to your own serving. Stir, cover and cook on low for about 7 hours (slow cooker times can vary). Spoon oatmeal into bowls and add garnishes as desired. Store leftovers in the fridge. Freezes well, too. 

To reheat single servings, put 1 cup cooked oatmeal in a microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then stir. Continue cooking for another minute or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour. 

Nutritional info (per 3/4 cup serving): 149 calories, 3.6g, fat, 27.3g carbs, 3.9g fiber, 4.9g protein.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 points

Honored Contributor

here is the make ahead  method for steel-cut oats

a cup of steel-cut oats

3 3/4 to 4 cups of water

bring the water to a boil, stir in the oats , cook for a minute

take off the heat, let sit over night, then heat in the microwave in the morning, you can keep them in the fridge.

the actual method is on the McCann's Oatmeal website

Honored Contributor

You can skip the butter and put a little flax seed oil (has to be kept in the fridge) in and you will swear it has butter in it.  It gives it that mouth feel and it is great!

You don't need much and it is good for you.  I buy the filtered kind and it will be in a cold case at the store.  Whole Foods carries it, Natural Grocers does, and maybe Trader Joes.

Honored Contributor

I love sugar free instant oatmeal by Quaker Oats.  I do not eat breakfast so a lot of evenings I replace my big salad prior to dinner with a small bowl of oatmeal.  I get the fiber and do not eat huge portions of dinner.  Just use about one half a package of the oatmeal then have regular meal immediately after.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I eat the Quaker Instant Maple and Brown Sugar with 25% less sugar.

I also like Frosted Cheerios.

Eat some protein along with it - an egg or a strip of bacon.

Your health insurance may pay for diabetic classes - they have them at hospitals - not sure where else.  They teach you nutrition, carb counting, etc.   

Honored Contributor

I love oatmeal but not that instant packet krap.

Honored Contributor

I am diabetic, run an A1c between 6.5 and 7.0, and add a hint of brown sugar and butter to my oatmeal.   

I am 64 years old and LIVE my life with diabetes.   NO food is off limits to me; I drink Coke every day.   I am not paranoid about what I eat, just plan, and make allowances for my choices for the day.   

The doctor is starting you on Metformin to ensure your A1c stays low, and to protect your blood vessels, eyes, and kidneys.   Once you start this drug, you must eat enough food at meals to avoid low blood sugars.   Low blood sugars are more dangerous than a daily high  reading.   

Your doctor will write you a prescription for a glucometer and test strips; your insurance will pay on this purchase.