Respected Contributor

Re: I finally got some White Lily Self-rising flour!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Amazon had a sale on White Lily self-rising flour recently where you got two 5 lb bags for $7.52. It came yesterday and on Sunday I'll try my favorite biscuit recipe with it to see how it works. Nathalie Dupree was one of my favorite TV cooks and she swore by White Lily flour. (They also sponsored her so she may have been a tad biased.) It's not available in local markets but Amazon had it as a Deal of the Day, so I grabbed ten pounds and we'll see how it does. I'll try it out on biscuits first, then move on to pancakes and assorted other options later.

@gardenman   I think you will like it.  That's what my Mama used.  She made homemake biscuits every day of her life and they were the best in the world.  She did not use a recipe for the biscuits.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

How did your biscuits turn out?

DH loves to bake but his biscuits not so much. LOL!!!

He has been practicing plus trying a few different recipes. 

He did try the White Lily once but those biscuits were a little dry.

Guess he's got it down now. Yum!!!

I know he uses AP flour, really cold buttermilk & butter.  I don't know what else.

He has a pan in the oven right now. Can't wait to eat one with some Kerrygold butter & honey.

He also made a loaf of Buttermilk Bread today which is also really good.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

I'll be making them tomorrow. There will be some experimenting down the road, but tomorrow I'll try the recipe on the bag. I may up the milk tomorrow, but that will be based on how the dough feels. I don't mind a pretty wet dough. A wetter biscuit dough tends to make more tender biscuits.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Thats my favorite kind of flour. Our local Kroger usually has it. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

Thats my favorite kind of flour. Our local Kroger usually has it. 

No one locally (South Jersey) sells it. I was going to order some a while back through Amazon then it went out of stock. I had it on my Amazon Wishlist, so they notified me when it went on sale, so I grabbed it. I use self-rising flour for my biscuits, pancakes, corn fritters, and a few other things. It'll be fun to see how it works. Tomorrow biscuits, next week maybe fritters.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Mimi 1883  I bake a lot of bread and just put my oven light on and let my dough rise in the oven.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I made my yeast rolls with the White Lily All Purpose flour.  They came out very interesting.........like a cross between a dinner roll and a biscuit!  They taste great, but the texture is different than when I use another brand of AP flour.

I did notice on the bag of White Lily AP it states:

For every cup of all-purpose flour used in a recipe, substitute 1 cup and 2 Tablespoons of White Lily All-Purpose Flour.

I did make the substitution.  I am curious how cookies would be with the White Lily.  I guess I will have to keep baking and find out!😉😉😉

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@Mimi 1883  I bake a lot of bread and just put my oven light on and let my dough rise in the oven.

Thank you so much @hayseed00 ! 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Yesterday I made my yeast rolls with the White Lily All Purpose flour.  They came out very interesting.........like a cross between a dinner roll and a biscuit!  They taste great, but the texture is different than when I use another brand of AP flour.

I did notice on the bag of White Lily AP it states:

For every cup of all-purpose flour used in a recipe, substitute 1 cup and 2 Tablespoons of White Lily All-Purpose Flour.

I did make the substitution.  I am curious how cookies would be with the White Lily.  I guess I will have to keep baking and find out!😉😉😉

@4kitties 

I noticed the difference in using WL vs KA Ap flours. 

I did not know about the extra 2 tablespoons. The rolls were a little tough. 

We have good luck with KA or Arrowhead Organic flours.

They don't sell WL around here either but Walmart did have some last year. They do have the self rising & bread flour online.

Honored Contributor

I used the White Lily flour and the biscuits were okay, but not great. They had very little oven-spring so the baking powder could be a tick old or ineffective. (We're still well within the "sell-by" date though.) I apparently used a much larger biscuit cutter than they do as they say it'll make twelve biscuits that are 3/4" to 1" tall when rolled out. I rolled mine out 3/4" thick and it made six plus a scrap. (My cutter is 2.75" in diameter.)

The flour has a finer, powdery feel to it. It doesn't feel like other flours in your hand. Their recipe is eight parts flour to one part shortening. My old recipe is more six parts flour to one part shortening. I'll try them on my old recipe next time for a more direct comparison to what I'm used to.

I'll probably freshen up the baking powder with a teaspoon of known good baking powder also. These had minimal oven-spring to them. My biscuits typically double in height (or more) while baking. These were pretty much the same after baking, maybe a tick taller, but not by much. They weren't "bad" biscuits, but they weren't an improvement over what I make using store-brand self-rising flour. In fact, they were probably a bit worse than what I typically make. For the next batch in a couple of weeks, I'll revert to my old recipe, add a tick of fresh baking powder and see what happens. All in all though, I wasn't impressed. I was expecting more from the White Lily flour. But hey, you live and you learn.

Here are some photos of them as rolled out and pre-baked and then post-baked. As you can see, there was very little oven-spring. My "normal" biscuits typically double or more in height when baked and these didn't. I don't think it's the recipe as much as stale/ineffective baking powder. That's something I can adjust going forward by adding a bit of fresh known good baking powder. Overall, I'm not impressed. I've got nine-plus pounds of it to use up so I'll be tweaking things here and there to get better results from it.

IMG_20210117_121133831 resized.jpg

IMG_20210117_123029716 resized.jpg

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!