Honored Contributor

Re: I'd love suggestions on what to cook for a friend.

oh @house_cat no wonder she wrote her meows sound better

u deserve more than flowers for having all your limbs after giving meds to kitteh

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I would do a basket of nice crackers, a sweet roll or two, maybe some pretzels or a nice bagle, and in the fridge a few slices of a nice mild cheese or two, a small herbed cream cheese maybe, and a small amount of deli ham or turkey, maybe a few olives.

After traveling it is something easy to pick up and snack on , and the rolls could be for breakfast.  

To me that would be more appealing than a meal. 

Oh that sounds perfect.  Along with a nice bottle of wine or beer of her liking.   And some chocolate, of course.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Please don't hate me for posting this thread and then not taking your advice..... there were so many good ideas and I thought I had settled on one when I got cold feet. I decided that food was too personal and perhaps she wouldn't be in the mood for whatever I cooked.  I left her a vase of flowers and a welcome home note instead. She has been "romantically unattached" for several years and I know she always loves it when I bring her flowers.  Some people don't seem to buy flowers for themselves, though I do, regularly.  

P.S. I kept half the flowers for myself.  

The photo is my half 😉

coral roses and alstromeria 2019.JPG

@house_cat 

Is the vase Lenox with gold trim?  This looks like the same vase my MIL willed me when she passed.  It is from 1040s according to FIL who told me he bought for their 1st anniversary in 1943.

I love this vase esp for beautiful roses whichI buy bi-weekly to treat me!  Enjoy your 1/2💐

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 

It is Lenox but it doesn't have a gold trim.  My mom and her sister went through what I refer to as their "Lenox Period".  They just loved it!  My aunt bought this vase for her when I was a teenager, or young adult, because I clearly remember how happy Mom was to receive it. That would be the late 1970s if I remembering correctly.  It's one of the few things of my mom's that I saved, since I don't have a lot of space for collections.  I couldn't part with it.  I have one just like it, but smaller, that my aunt gifted to me at some point after I was married in 1982. She also gave me two candle holders and they do have the gold trim.

I also buy myself flowers fairly regularly.  I'm not a very high-maintenance woman and I don't spend a lot on primping and pampering, but the flowers make me so happy.  I usually buy a big bunch and take half of them to work for my desk, since I spend just as much time there.  I buy them for my coworkers quite often also... and everyone appreciates it.. not always roses, but roses are my personal favorite.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@homedecor1 

It is Lenox but it doesn't have a gold trim.  My mom and her sister went through what I refer to as their "Lenox Period".  They just loved it!  My aunt bought this vase for her when I was a teenager, or young adult, because I clearly remember how happy Mom was to receive it. That would be the late 1970s if I remembering correctly.  It's one of the few things of my mom's that I saved, since I don't have a lot of space for collections.  I couldn't part with it.  I have one just like it, but smaller, that my aunt gifted to me at some point after I was married in 1982. She also gave me two candle holders and they do have the gold trim.

I also buy myself flowers fairly regularly.  I'm not a very high-maintenance woman and I don't spend a lot on primping and pampering, but the flowers make me so happy.  I usually buy a big bunch and take half of them to work for my desk, since I spend just as much time there.  I buy them for my coworkers quite often also... and everyone appreciates it.. not always roses, but roses are my personal favorite.

I have that vase. No gold trim on mine either.  I received it as a shower gift in 1977.  One of my bridesmaids for some reason spread the word that I loved Lenox.  I have no idea why she did that - I didn't dislike Lenox, but I had never expressed an interest in it.  Of course I got many Lenox pieces at my shower!

I have the vase in both the large size and small.  They are the only 2 Lenox pieces that I still display.  I really love them.

And I'm like you with flowers.  I don't splurge on too many things, but I love to have fresh flowers as much as possible.  :-)