Honored Contributor

I'd like to make a blueberry shortcake. Any ideas on how to prepare the blueberry filling?

I've Googled so many blueberry pie filling recipes. I'm not sure if they will make a thick enough product to layer my cake.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an easy blueberry filling?

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'd like to make a blueberry shortcake. Any ideas on how to prepare the blueberry filling?

Easy Blueberry Sauce

Cook time: 10 mins

Ingredients

3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
1½ tablespoons cornstarch dissolved into 3 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

1. Place 1½ cups blueberries in a small saucepan. Cover with water and add sugar. Heat over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a low boil and blueberries just start to break apart.
  2. Add dissolved cornstarch to saucepan and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Turn heat down and simmer on low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, if the sauce gets too thick.
  3. Remove from heat. Add remaining blueberries and stir gently. Serve warm or cold.

You could reduce the amount of water slightly and cook then thin by adding water to get the consistency you want for the shortcake. Sounds delicious!

Honored Contributor

Re: I'd like to make a blueberry shortcake. Any ideas on how to prepare the blueberry filling?

house_cat ~ Are you using fresh, frozen, or canned blueberries?

Zhills has already supplied an easy blueberry sauce made with fresh or frozen. If you are using canned, here's a pretty simple one.

Take a can of blueberries (NOT pie filling). Drain them, reserving the juice. Set the berries aside and pour the juice into a small saucepan. Mix in about a tablespoon of cornstarch - stir until it's incorporated. Turn on the heat and cook while stirring until the desired thickness. Combine the reserved berries and sauce, and you're set.

Honored Contributor

Thank you both! I can't wait to try one of them. I thought I had a container of previously fresh blueberries in my freezer, but whaddaya know, one of the men folk got to them first.

I'm shopping later today. If the fresh ones don't look good, I'll pick up a can or two.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Just to clarify, house_cat....I'm pretty sure canned blueberries come in a light syrup rather than juice. I'm sorry if I confused you. No additional sugar is needed.

Respected Contributor

I didn't know you could buy canned blueberries. I'm from south Georgia, Alma to be exact. The blueberry capital of Georgia. We always have them in the summer and freeze them. First learning about canned pumpkin and now blueberries. WOW!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/10/2015 tigriss said:

I didn't know you could buy canned blueberries. I'm from south Georgia, Alma to be exact. The blueberry capital of Georgia. We always have them in the summer and freeze them. First learning about canned pumpkin and now blueberries. WOW!

HEY.......You live near me!!!!! I have answered to several from this area, and do not remember whether or not I have told you this.......Howdy do, neighbor.......Kiss

I live where the blueberry AND olive groves grow........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Just to clarify, house_cat....I'm pretty sure canned blueberries come in a light syrup rather than juice. I'm sorry if I confused you. No additional sugar is needed.

Thank you. I've never purchased them. I usually wait for a sale and freeze some. There haven't been any good sales on blueberries this year.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I thought I lived in the blueberry capital! There are a lot of blueberry farms around here. People drive from hither and yon to come picking in the summer. There's a town about an hour away from me that does an annual Blueberry Festival.

I thought Georgia was all about pecans and peaches.

Respected Contributor

Alma has the Blueberry Festival every June. Picking blueberries was my job every May through July from age 11. I worked 90+ hour weeks from 6 until the crop for the day was done. Practically everyone has them in their yards. Much of our timber land is now being turned into blueberry fields since the prices are through the roof!

As for the land of blueberries and olive trees, Forest do you also have azaleas! South of Alma towards Valdosta is growing in the olive tree business. I somehow got the thought that you lived in metro-ATL!

JeanLouise, ours are labeled for the Michigan Blueberry Company, a far ways away from here! There is a new company in town, but I can't remember what it is, but rest assured, it is from the same northern region of the country. While we do have tons of pecans, especially since Asia and Europe have discovered them, and peaches, we have more pecans and blueberries down where I live. Most of the peach trees are in central west of Georgia west of Macon. We did have a peach orchard on our farm, but it because infected with a fungus we couldn't get rid of in the 90s and wiped it out. We planted pine trees for paper and pine straw. Pine straw is also big business down here. For something I hated to rake every year, it does sell well. I remember finding people buying pine cones in the stores. WOW! That shocked me like nothing else when I discovered that fact during my teenage years. Pine cones for sell. I also hated picking those darned things up. Punishment was picked up pine cones, sticks and raking 3 acres of straw in the summer. YUCK at the heat doing that.