Honored Contributor

Re: I'd appreciate opinions on this cake recipe, thank you.

@house_cat  my niece said it's a recipe she found on a Jo Cooks blog, I just looked it up and it is pretty easy to make, but wow the calories. I would make it for a party and cut it into small servings, that's what she does.

@blackhole99 

Thank you so much for asking her.

I will look for the recipe.  I don't care how many calories it is for a one-time dessert. I'll send everyone home with a piece and I won't be faced with the leftovers.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Here's the recipe from the Jo Cooks website:

easy tiramisu.jpg

Easy Tiramisu

Ingredients
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 lb mascarpone cheese *
  • 24 ladyfinger cookies **
  • 2 cups brewed coffee
  • 1/4 cup rum
  • 2 cups cool whip optional
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate shavings optional
Instructions
  • Beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla extract in your mixer on medium high speed until almost white and thick, could take 8 to 10 minutes.
  • Add the mascarpone and beat until everything is well combined. The mixture should be quite thick. Set aside.
  • In a shallow plate combine the coffee and rum together.
  • Dip the ladyfingers in the coffee mixture one at a time and arrange 12 of them in the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking dish. You don't have to soak them in the coffee for a long time, just briefly dip them on both sides, no more than a second. Spread half of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers and repeat with the remaining ladyfingers, then cheese mixture.
  • Cover this and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours.
  • Dust with cocoa powder just before serving. You can also top with white chocolate shavings.
Notes
  1. Cover with plastic wrap or in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days, no more, since the ladyfingers will break down and become mushy. However, the tiramisu is better the 2nd day.
  2. Use rum extract or vanilla extract for a non-alcoholic substitute.
  3. * Mascarpone cheese is an Italian cream cheese coagulated by the addition of certain acidic substances such as lemon juice, or vinegar.
  4. ** Ladyfinger cookies are dry, egg-based and sweet sponge biscuits shaped like a large finger.
  5. Make sure your eggs are good quality and as fresh as possible. Best of course are free-range organic eggs.
  6. Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.

Nutrition

Serving: 251g | Calories: 798kcal Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 53g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 276mg | Sodium: 133mg | Potassium: 306mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 29.8% | Calcium: 18.3% | Iron: 21.2%

Thank you, @blackhole99 
~ house cat ~
Frequent Contributor

@house_catHere's a recipe that my neighbor had at a home luncheon that was very well received. It isn't called Tiramisu, but would be pretty and easy to make along that line.

Coffee Mocha Torte:

1 Box Family Size Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix

1 Pint Whipping Cream

1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee

About 1/3 cup Brown Sugar

Hershey curls (Hershey Bar for Decoration) easily made with a

potato peeler

Bake brownie mix according to directions for cake type.

Divide batter into two round 9-inch cake pans.

Bake at 350 degrees.

Whip the coffee and brown sugar in whipping cream and put

between layers and on top---not sides.

Make curls from Hershey bar for topping.

Toasted almonds or pecans could also be used with the Hershey

curls for garnish.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds amazing!  Wish you were making this for me! 

Honored Contributor

My husband would love this. I've only bought this type of cake.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Isn't mascarpone basically the same thing as cream cheese?  So the cake has cream cheese icing with a fancy name.  Sounds delicious but very rich.

No.  Mascarpone is not the same as cream cheese.  You can find it at Trader's Joes.

Frequent Contributor

My thought: why not just compare the recipe to one of your favorite cookbook authors, or chefs online. It's way to long & tedious to read this. Love Tiramisu. Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

marchingalong123:

"My thought: why not just compare the recipe to one of your favorite cookbook authors, or chefs online. It's way to long & tedious to read this. Love Tiramisu. Enjoy!"

ITA!

Honored Contributor

I've decided to make the recipe that @blackhole99  posted above.  Now, to find some ladyfngers.  I haven't seen them in years, maybe because I haven't been looking. If I can't find them easily in my local stores I'll check online.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

I use the Cooking Light White Russian Tirimisu recipe. It is very easy and much lighter in fat and calories. It is also delicious. I looked it up and tried to copy it to this message, but it didn’t work for me. I’m sure you will like it, everyone always does. 

PS around here Ladyfingers and marscapone are in every grocery. I’m sure they are where you are too, maybe you have just not been looking for them.

Sorry I cannot copy it but you will find it easily.