Respected Contributor

Re: I'd Love Some Food Suggestions, Please? Second Wedding-Picnic...

@buyornot   Right after World War II it was popular in Brooklyn for Italian Americans to have a "Football Wedding" which was a reference to the wrapped submarine sandwiches that were served.

If you did something like that for your main entree that eliminates cooking.  I know that Subway (and probably similar chains) has long catering "party" subs that just might be perfect.  You can make or have catered salads as sides

and platters of cookies or a regular wedding cake can be served.

As others have said watch for sales on your beverages and disposable utensils, plates, and napkins. A supply of packaged individual wet naps would be nice, or just a couple of containers of wet wipes will be useful.  Make sure you have enough ice on hand and bring a first aid kit.  

Find out the location of a wholesale florist to save a bundle on flowers and make your own simple arrangements if you are having them.

Best wishes to the bride and groom!

Respected Contributor

Fried chicken from your local store, some side salads and cookies for the kids & cake for the adults.

Esteemed Contributor

@buyornot wrote:

What a wonderfully nice and helpful group here-thanks you so much!  IF we went with lots of delivered, different local pizzas, what could round it off?

@buyornot  Pizzerias usually have a lot of side salads, like tortellini, antipasto  and other hearty salads. If I was ordering pizza for unknown outdoor temps, I would order tomato pies. Do you have them in your area? Almost no cheese. They can be served cold. Cheese pies don't do well over time and in varied atmospheres.

Honored Contributor

If everyone eats pork ,you could have a pig roast. Hire someone to do the pig part ,and  furnish salads from the deli or make some

Esteemed Contributor

I'd definitely encourage you to hire a caterer for your wonderful event. I did that with my 2nd marriage, and I was so thankful that I did. You'll have enough things going on without having to worry about making anything (even something small), setting things up/cleaning up afterwards, etc. I didn't hire the most expensive caterer - just a woman who had a small catering company and came well recommended. She and her small team did everything and it made things so much easier for me. If I remember right, I had a variety of finger sandwiches, 3 or 4 salads, small wedding cake, etc. The only thing I took care of was a case of champagne. Congratulations and best of luck with your reception!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't say what time of day. Cake , champagne (if allowed in a public place) and bottled water for a very small budget second wedding would be fine.

If you want to go with a bit more, have the grocery store cater a lovely variety of sandwiches in addition to the above, with added iced tea and sodas in individual bottles/ cans.

IMO no salads necessary, just food that can be eaten cleanly with hands, maybe a platter of grapes , strawberries and another fruit, although that will definitely add to your budget.

Food truck?

Sorry, but IMO pizza is not special enough for a wedding celebration. I think of pizza for a child's birthday party.

Respected Contributor

What if it rains?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just this weekend we were invited to a similar event.

A popular food truck did the catering.  Drove right up!  A fixed selection was posted on their usual menu board.  It was not that pricey, because they served fixed, per-ordered items, rather then the usual large variety.

Best Wishes to you both!

Edited to add

*** They parked the truck so that they were exactly on the edge of the parking, serving window edge opening to the grass.  Guests, and the City ordinances were happy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@cherry It's being held in a park and I doubt any town will permit that in a public setting!  When I lived in California and was a teen, the people next door (a great Samoan family) wanted to have one.

The local fire department gave them the OK with the proviso that there was someone on "fire watch" with a hose at all times.

They did what the FD told them and it was great!!

Honored Contributor

That is something she will have to check. It is allowed here, but I can't speak for everywhere/ they might be able to cook it  at their home and bring it in already made