Super Contributor

I am making Thin Mint Cupcakes, is it ok to use peppermint extract instead of mint extract? (rop)

[ Edited ]

None of the stores around here have mint extract..one is sold out of mint extract, the other 2 don't even carry it, but they all have peppermint extract. When I think peppermint extract, I think of candy canes, much sharper imo than mint..no..?

This is the recipe..would peppermint extract be an acceptable substitute..? If it was for just the family, I wouldn't care so much, but this is for a potluck that I already said I would bring Thin Mint Cupcakes..

(the extract is for the frosting, and I am using a basic chocolate boxed cake mix, and I'm not doing the ganache topping) :

INGREDIENTS FOR THE CUPCAKES

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk

FOR THE GANACHE

• 2/3 cup chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

FOR THE MINT FROSTING

• 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 - 1-1/2 teaspoons mint extract (add this gradually to taste as the intensity of mint extract varies from brand to brand)
  • 2-3 cups powdered sugar
  • green food dye
Honored Contributor

Re: I am making Thin Mint Cupcakes, is it ok to use peppermint extract instead of mint extract? (rop

@msh8970  Oh bot those sound good.I bet peppermint extract that is pure and good quality would work...just add bit by bit.

Honored Contributor

Re: I am making Thin Mint Cupcakes, is it ok to use peppermint extract instead of mint extract? (rop

I think mint and peppermint extract would be the same thing.  I've never seen anything labeled "mint" extract.  I'd use the peppermint.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I suspect peppermint might be a bit sweeter than mint, but I bet either extract will work.  They sound yummy!

Honored Contributor

Extracts add fLavor and are interchangeable.  You could substitute any flavor, mint, orange, raspberry.  I often switch out flavors when I am baking.

Respected Contributor

I just checked Amazon. They’ve got mint extract, as well as peppermint extract. 

Respected Contributor

Mint extract is a mixture of peppermint and spearmint. I think you could use peppermint and just do a little at a time as someone else suggested. You said you were bring mint ones and they would still be that.

Honored Contributor

peppermint extract and mint extract are definitely two different flavors.

i make a chocolate mint brownie that uses mint extract, but does not taste as good if i use peppermint extract. i found out the hard way.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@msh8970

There is a separate "mint" extract, I bought it to make homemade Shamrock Shakes for my DD.

I think you could substitute peppermint but it would taste different - still good but different.

Wish I could send you some of my mint extract, this bottle will last the rest of my life!

BTW, how did they come out?

Honored Contributor

I am not certain but wouldn't peppermint taste like a candy cane?