Honored Contributor

I want to make an aple pie from scratch.....I'm confused about the crust-why is it that sometimes you have to blind bake it?

The youtube video just poured the apples into the unbaked crust and popped it in the oven. Won't that be a soggy bottom ?

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: I WANT TO MAKE AN APPLE PIE

I have made many apple pies and I have never blind baked the crust, I just prepare thecore and slice the apples, add lemon juice, cinnamon,  sugar and raisins, pour into the shell then I will add a crumb topping make with flour, rolled oats, sugar, and cinnamon.

Its been a while so I do not recall how long it was baked or on what temperature

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Sprinkle a little sugar on the bottom pie crust and it will bake very nicley and won't be soggy.

Valued Contributor

I start my apple pies at a higher temperature for about 20 minutes and then turn the temp down.  This may help to set the crust. 

Valued Contributor

Try Betty Crocker pie crust in a box.  I have used it for years and get compliments on my pies.  My sister made hers from scratch and liked mine better.  Good luck.  Store bought apple pies cannot compare.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not a baker and have never mastered pie crust so I make apple crisp.  It eliminates the crust and it is delicious warm with either ice cream or my favorite is with thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese.  

Trusted Contributor

I can make a great pie crust but, I love making apple crisp too. 

Especially when I am in my LaZGirl mood.  I have my husband peel the apples then too!  

Sometimes I add some golden raisins plumped in Calvados or cognac.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am not a baker and have never mastered pie crust so I make apple crisp.  It eliminates the crust and it is delicious warm with either ice cream or my favorite is with thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese.  

I have the same problem .. I roll it out .. turn my back and its back into a ball of

dough again .. its hilarious .... so I do the same .. apple crisp ...Oh and my

husband loves the cheddar cheese too ...

Of course it doesnt help that my late mother in law made an apple pie the

likes of which I know I will never find again ...it was fabulous ... Lard crust ..

Northern Spies Apples ...now that was a pie !!!

Respected Contributor

@catlover

To fully blind bake a pie crust means to prebake one for a filling that will not be baked, e.g. a cream pie or a cooked custard.  The empty crust is lined with foil then filled with weights (I use dry beans) to prevent it from puffing up too much.  

To prevent a soggy bottom crust, as in your apple pie, you can partially prebake a crust before filling it with the apples. Some people also call this blind baking; but, as you know, the term used this way is confusing, so I prefer the term of par baking.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I bake a Pillsbury refrigerated crust, then add the apple coated with a little flour to act as thickener, spices, and do a crumb crust for the top.  I usually don't peel the apples.  I bake 9 min in the microwave.  It comes out perfect. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment