Honored Contributor

Re: I FOUND A TERRIFIC TUNA FISH BRAND

my favorite and i have mentioned it a number of times on the forums.....it comes from italy and i buy it by the case.

tuna flott

tuna flott tuna.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't know where it is available, but I will look for it @Nancy Drew .

Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I guess we have to consider the source-or the information. There are organizations concerned about the planet more than health. I only know about the health hazard. Consumer Reports are certainly not concerned about health as far as I'm concerned. 

I only wanted to tell the poster what I've read and it's fine if she wants to go for taste. Enjoy your tuna and sorry if I intruded on your post.

@Judaline, no worries, you didn't intrude on anything.  

Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@Nancy Drew    I have been purchasing Genova Tuna Fish in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for years.  

I only "discovered" it a short while ago and so glad I did.

Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I always buy tuna packed in water 

Enjoy them!  

Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my favorite and i have mentioned it a number of times on the forums.....it comes from italy and i buy it by the case.

tuna flott

tuna flott tuna.jpg

@sunshine45  -- Wow, just based on the can above, that brand sounds REALLY delicious.  Cannot go wrong with authentic Italian.

Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Don't know where it is available, but I will look for it @Nancy Drew .

@AuntG, it might be available in your local large supermarket or if not, a small Italian specialty store if there's one nearby.   And @sunshine45's Flott brand also sounds very, very good.

Trusted Contributor

Great topic! Fresh fish is so questionable, even here in Florida. I lean toward canned tuna, salmon and oysters. I don't worry so much about mercury as I do about humane fishing practices.

My tip about canned tuna--I tend to prefer water packed, drained well; I then add my own premium olive oil. I love to toss in any fresh chopped herbs and maybe a splash of a good vinegar or lemon/lime juice, and capers if I have them on hand. 

Honored Contributor

I have been buying albacore tuna packed in water for years at Costco; it is their Signature brand. In one of their magazines they send out periodically to members, there was an article that they were not going to be selling it anymore and would carry chunk light tuna instead....apparently it's supposed to be healthier.  On my recent trip to Costco I found one eight-pack of the albacore stuck on a shelf with the vitamins ...none on the aisle where it once was. I hate they are discontinuing it. 

Trusted Contributor

I have read off and on for many years that light tuna should be preferred for various reasons. Been there, tried it more than a few times--too fishy for my taste. Only white albacore for me.