Contributor

I FOUND A TERRIFIC TUNA FISH BRAND

[ Edited ]

Genova Yellowfin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil!  Forget Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea! I don't know about you guys, but these two former childhood favorites just don't taste the same to me anymore.  All you need mixed into Genova is a bit of mayonnaise, black pepper and chopped celery.  Spread on the bread of your choice -- mine is a crusty baguette, and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Re: I FOUND A TERRIFIC TUNA FISH BRAND

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Genova Yellowfin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil!  Forget Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea! I don't know about you guys, but these two former childhood favorites just don't taste the same to me anymore.  All you need mixed into Genova is a bit of mayonnaise, black pepper and chopped celery.  Spread on the bread of your choice -- mine is a crusty baguette, and enjoy!

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but you should know:

Bigeye and yellowfin, also known as ahi, are common in sushi. Both types, along with bluefin, are high in mercury and should be eaten infrequently, if at all. 

Honored Contributor

I still prefer my canned tuna to be packed in water. 

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew 

DH will go out of his way to buy Wegman's tunafish.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

That sounds delicious @Nancy Drew , I love tuna. 

Honored Contributor

Wild Planet tuna is my go-to.  It's more expensive than the common brands, but it's on sale from time-to-time.  It has a lot of things going for it, including being wild-caught via lines.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline  Genova Yellowfin in Extra virgin olive oil is the only tuna I buy. Consumer Labs has listed that brand as one of their top picks too.

Valued Contributor

@ValuSkr   I only use Wild Planet as well.  I order from Amazon.  I used to buy Albacore but recently changed to Slipjack.  More expensive but I find it a lot more flavorful.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My favorite is Tonnino tuna fillets in olive oil.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline -

Thank you. I was just going to post about that too.

My mother gets yellowfin and I thought it did taste really good but had never had that kind and yes when I looked it up, it does have one of the highest levels of mercury in tuna brands.

It seems the better they taste, the more mercury!😕

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"