Honored Contributor

Re: ?? How to use a broiler?

@castlenv wrote:

I never heard of leaving the oven door cracked open for any reason.  Isn't it more energy efficient just to check on the food every so often? 

When you broil you want to keep the heating element on and so you crack the door open so it never reaches the set temp (500 on my stove) and the element stays on.If it would reach the set temp the element would shut off and it would stop broiling. My stoves book of instructions does say to keep the door cracked.Personally, I find it's simpler to just throw something on the grill than to mess with the broiler. 

Honored Contributor

I have a Kenmore electric wall oven. Instructions say to keep the door open a few inches when broiling. The door stays open in the "broiling position" as they call it. It's about 8 years old.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  Not all stoves are gas. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Hi @151949. Thank you for that.

The OP didn't specify the age or heatsource, and I'm unable to comment on the operation of older or built in electric ovens, so I thought it prudent to direct my comments to gas ovens built for in-home use. 

In the past it was open for safety. Now with modern ovens it's closed for safety. Clearly, the ideal answer is to consult your owner's manual, but that's not always possible.

My eighteen-year-old owners manual states the oven door must be closed while broiling.

I believe the newer electric stoves have been modernized to address this, and now also require a closed door for safety reasons.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Hi @151949. Thank you for that.

The OP didn't specify the age or heatsource, and I'm unable to comment on the operation of older or built in electric ovens, so I thought it prudent to direct my comments to gas ovens built for in-home use. 

In the past it was open for safety. Now with modern ovens it's closed for safety. Clearly, the ideal answer is to consult your owner's manual, but that's not always possible.

My eighteen-year-old owners manual states the oven door must be closed while broiling.

I believe the newer electric stoves have been modernized to address this, and now also require a closed door for safety reasons.

I have a 6 year old electric stoive and my directions say the door must be kept open.

Respected Contributor

I had never heard of keeping odors closed while broiling either-until I got the Bosch ( electric).  We have an LG in our weekend place (electric) and you keep the door open. It pays to read manuals-and my DH always laughs at me, but I'm glad I do!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Maybe that's why oven doors have that semi open position.  I don't broil but keep it ajar after baking to cool down.  So is it safe to say broiling is the same as grilling?  If so, they should use the same word.