Super Contributor

Am I supposed to leave the oven door open/cracked when I use my broiler?

I looked at my oven instructions, and they do not say.  

Seems like I remember my mother leaving the oven door cracked (over 50 years ago).

Am embarrassed at my age to be asking this question - obviously, I have never used the broiler function 😳

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Trusted Contributor

Re: ?? How to use a broiler?

I always leave my oven door cracked. But, like you, it's because that's what my Mother told me to do many years ago. It can't hurt & it's easier to keep an eye on what you're broiling. 

Honored Contributor

Depends on what I'm making.    I like to keep it closed a few minutes for the entire oven to get warm, then I check frequently.    I stay close and usually know by smell.   if you have a good light & window, you can keep it closed and watch through the window.   My window is tinted so I have to look inside with the door open.

@TeezNu wrote:

Am I supposed to leave the oven door open/cracked when I use my broiler?

I looked at my oven instructions, and they do not say.  

Seems like I remember my mother leaving the oven door cracked (over 50 years ago).

Am embarrassed at my age to be asking this question - obviously, I have never used the broiler function 😳

Honored Contributor

I broil several times a week and leave my oven door cracked open.  I also use the best stainless steel broiler pan in the whole wide world.  I put it in the dishwasher and it comes out like brand new.  I also a little water to the bottom of the pan as directed.

The pan is called the Waterbroiler and it's available for purchase on line. I wouldn't be without it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I broil several times a week and leave my oven door cracked open.  I also use the best stainless steel broiler pan in the whole wide world.  I put it in the dishwasher and it comes out like brand new.  I also a little water to the bottom of the pan as directed.

The pan is called the Waterbroiler and it's available for purchase on line. I wouldn't be without it.

@Carmie

What is the purpose of the Waterbroiler?  To keep meat moist?

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Honored Contributor

I never heard of leaving the oven door cracked open for any reason.  Isn't it more energy efficient just to check on the food every so often? 

Honored Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Carmie

What is the purpose of the Waterbroiler?  To keep meat moist?

The manufacturer recommends using water.  I  think it stops the flare ups and makes cleaning the pan easier.  I have had mine for about 8 years and it's the best pan ever.  I don't have to soak and scrub anymore and my pan always looks like new.

IMG_0164.JPG

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I never heard of leaving the oven door cracked open for any reason.  Isn't it more energy efficient just to check on the food every so often? 

When you broil, the heat source is only 3-4 inches away from the food.  You are not roasting or baking so the temp of the oven makes no difference.

My parents owned a resturant.  I can tell you that commercial broilers do not have a door  and are completely open. You just place the food under the flame to cook it.

Super Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond!

Esteemed Contributor

For an electric stove - - if broiling a steak - you have to leave the door open or else, when the temp reaches 500 degrees, the electric element goes out because it's reached temp.  If you leave the door closed the steak is now being 'baked' instead of 'broiled'.