Honored Contributor

Re: How to prepare hamburger steak without it shrinking?

@mspatmac wrote:

Throw them on the grill, problem solved 😂

No beans in real Texas Chili.  I learned that pretty quick when I moved here.  

@mspatmac wrote:

Throw them on the grill, problem solved 😂

No beans in real Texas Chili.  I learned that pretty quick when I moved here.  

@mspatmac : I have previously used my indoor grill and the meat still shrunk.
I love beans in my chili but DH always says.....no.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SouthernBee 

I was a Home Economics teacher, also with a chemistry degree.

Two things will cause shrinkage, high fat count, where the melting fat melts into the pan, and high heat.

The print in the middle of the patty makes the patty lie flat and not have a rounded shape. 

There is always a little bit of shrinkage because cooked meat takes up less room.

When I do my burger bundles in mushroom gravy, I am using the lowest fat ground beef I can find.

The shrinkage is minimal.

@ECBG : Thank you. I always use the lowest fat meat.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

@SouthernBee 

I put my index finger thru my hamburger patties so they look like a meat donut, which keeps them from shrinking as they cook.   

@SouthernBee @RedTop 

I've seen some make an indention in top of patty and put an ice cube in it.  Supposed to stop shrinkage.

I don't eat meat, so have not tried it.

Curious about it though.

@Drythe 

That's right, it really works! I see many recipes suggesting this, tried it and it worked!

The burger was juicy, without shrinking into a tennis ball, LOL!

@KingstonsMom : Thank you and will try this.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SouthernBee 

I think you have to make peace with the fact that ground meat shrinks during cooking ... whether it's beef, lamb, pork or even ground turkey ...  heck even meatloaf shrinks in the cooking process. 

For that matter, some vegetables do that, too.  I steamed a large bag of fresh spinach lastt night and was surprised at how small the finished product was.  The spinach lost a lot of water in the cooking process.  Not sure you can change that, no matter what you do.

Is the problem the SIZE of the finished burger?   If so, make them a smidge larger.  I don't think you are doing anything wrong, or anything can change the end result.   Unless you want to serve Steak Tartare, which is raw ground meat.  lol.    

@Tinkrbl44 : Thank you and agree. No rare meat for me.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@SouthernBee I do not have an answer.

BUT I would like to thank you for bringing up the subject of hamburger steak. I bought a package of hamburger so I could make meatballs. There was lots of hamburger left. So I made hamburger steaks. Twice my husband said thank you for making it. Nothing was left over.

Have to thank you for the idea.

@drizzellla : LOL.... glad to help. I told DH about me posting this question and that everyone has been so kind and helpful. He said will be interesting to see my next results.
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I totally agree with those who suggested that the very lowest -fat types of ground beef will not shrink so much--so pay a little more but get a product you might like more.

Sometimes, when I brown those low-fat types to use in  various recipes, I don't even bother to drain the small amount of fat from the pan.

@novamc1 : Thank you and I totally agree.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   Short answer is Sugar!

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  Yup!  Northern cornbread has less sugar and eggs.  Southern corngread has more sugar and eggs.

seems like on the whole Northern is more about frugal and Southern is more plenty.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdottersorry replying to megs # 15 and # 19.   Need my Coffee!

Honored Contributor

I didn't read this entire thread, so this probably duplicates.  I currently buy ground sirloin for burgers, 10% fat.  Some burgers have 20 to 25% fat.  So I'm going to get 10% shrinkage and the higher fat burgers are really going to shrink..  Make your burgers bigger if you are aiming for a certian size.