Honored Contributor

Re: How to prepare hamburger steak without it shrinking?

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom  I apologize if appearing obtuse.  Was just interested in the wording of your posts and looking for clarification. After reading Southern Bee's post I think I now understand what is meant by "southern cook".  No negative inference intended.

Cornbread and chili is one of my favorite meals.  Do Texans traditionally prepare their chili with or without beans?

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee - the only thing I would try is not making the patties too thick, thin them out a little more.  Also make sure they are even, not mounded up in the middle. Fry only on medium heat. 
they sure look delicious!

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@SouthernBee - the only thing I would try is not making the patties too thick, thin them out a little more.  Also make sure they are even, not mounded up in the middle. Fry only on medium heat. 
they sure look delicious!

@HerRoyaLioness : Thank you and I will try your suggestions next time.♥️
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@KingstonsMom   Like cornbread and chili?

@deepwaterdotter 

mostrecentcruise.gif

BTW: Texas, as well as many other regions, are known for the best chili you can find, GA not so much.

I really don't understand your posts, so I prefer not to deal with them.

peaceout.jpg

I'm originally from MS, but I have gotten raves on my chili from different groups of people.  However, if you like it hot, I'm not your chili cook.  You can always add more heat.  

I don't regularly eat cornbread with my chili since I rarely cook it for just the 2 of us.  But if I do make it for just us, I'll make cornbread.  I only make cornbread with white cornmeal, use buttermilk, and add NO sugar.

Esteemed Contributor

I brown my patties and finish them in the oven, just like I do steaks!  Got the idea on Pinterest...it works!

Esteemed Contributor

This has been a fascinating thread to read to get different ideas on how to cook a hamburger steak. We do not eat much ground beef, but when I do cook hamburger I have had the patty shrink up and it's been quite annoying. I also tired the thumb print in the middle and had mixed results. I've tried making thinner patties w/ a larger circumference and had same issue, shrunk up to nothing.

The only thing that has made a difference is when the store offers angus ground sirloin w/ 5% fat. That ground beef made an excellent steak, served up w/ grilled onions and mushroom gravy. So now when I go shopping if they have that item I will buy it. Otherwise, I just make up bigger patties and cross my fingers. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 Yes YEs - lower fat content is a factor to consider.  I hate grease so buy 90% lean ground beef.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee 

I put my index finger thru my hamburger patties so they look like a meat donut, which keeps them from shrinking as they cook.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@SouthernBee 

I put my index finger thru my hamburger patties so they look like a meat donut, which keeps them from shrinking as they cook.   

@SouthernBee @RedTop 

I've seen some make an indention in top of patty and put an ice cube in it.  Supposed to stop shrinkage.

I don't eat meat, so have not tried it.

Curious about it though.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Throw them on the grill, problem solved 😂

No beans in real Texas Chili.  I learned that pretty quick when I moved here.