Honored Contributor

Re: How to improve a cake mix cake

I usually make my cakes from scratch only but this is a great tip! 

Thank you @151949   I copied so I would not forget!  Just want to double check...the liquids are equal quantities?  (ex.  1/3 cup oil would change to 1/3 cup melted butter)

A friend of mine gave me a tip for box mixes a long time ago.  I used to do it b4 I got my Kitchenaid and started baking cakes from scratch.

She said:

add 1/4 more water than what the box says. 

Use a heavy hand and go over the line a bit for what the oil says. 

Bake at least 5 mins. less than what the instructions say. 

If you can smell it, you overbaked it! 

Always, always worked!  Much moister than what the box instructions says.

I just love the recipe forum!

Honored Contributor

quantity of oil =  melted butter

Honored Contributor

You have convinced me to make a cake!

Honored Contributor

I made a small Jiffy cake mix cake yesterday and tried these tips. Eh, it turned out okay. Nothing great! In fact, I thought it was rather dry. Not a fan of using cake mixes except for the convenience. I was so hoping this hack would have given a real improvement in the taste of my cake but nope.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Update- I made a German chocolate cake from Betty Crocker using @151949 modifications. Cake mix cost 99¢ on sale. Topped it with canned coconut pecan frosting. This was a definite improvement over a typical boxed cake.

Honored Contributor

@151949: Thank you! My favorite cake mix was the Duncan Hines  Classic Butter Cake Mix until they made changes!!! Frustrated trying other brands. Yesterday, used the Betty Crocker Butter cake mix with the changed ingredients. What a difference and I used the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey’s powerded cocoa can. DH and SIL thought everything was made from scratch. For me, I noticed that the cake baked  or was can’t think of the correct word, higher. Great information for when you need to bake something quick. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Southern Bee, I noticed that my cake was higher too. Similar to when they had three extra ounces of cake mix in the box.

Honored Contributor

When making a coconut cake I substitute coconut milk for regular milk.🍰

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Add some pudding, or mayonaise.

Trusted Contributor

I made the Betty Crocker Butter Recipe yellow cake using an extra egg, butter and milk instead of water.  The cake baked up higher than usual and had a great texture.  I'm going to make a devils food next but will try oil instead of the butter to reduce the sat fat.  I'm curious to see how it will turn out.  Thanks for the tip, it really was an improvement.