Honored Contributor

Re: How to hard-cook eggs--everyone's got an opinion

@Shopster3 wrote:

I use the pressure cooker also. Just a little water under the steam rack. I've done fresh eggs from the chicken coop and they almost peel themselves.

Age doesn't make a difference. Steaming does.

High pressure for 6 minutes for hard boiled.

I also use my egg cooker from QVC. Steaming is the trick

@Shopster3

Absolutely the trick is that eggs should steam not boil.  That's why the egg cookers work.  Steamed eggs will be perfect and peel everytime when you get the timing down.  Or you can use an egg cooker.

We steam them in about an inch of water, and we make soft boiled eggs a lot.  But it works for hard boiled too.   The Test Kitchen folks did something about that once and it may be online.

Eggs smell and make you burp when they are cooked in very high heat and or cooked too long.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We use one of those little egg cookers. DH loves it. The eggs peel easily.

PDP main image

I was beginning to think I was in a time warp or something...lol   All this talk about boiling eggs, it felt like 1916.   I get perfect eggs every time because I have a machine similar to this one.   I've had for at least 10 years, I believe I bought it from Amazon.  Boiling eggs in sausce pan....not gonna happen..lol

Trusted Contributor

alll i have done is bring to boil,turn off heat an cover for 20 minutes.Works every time

Esteemed Contributor

I just cover the eggs with cold water, bring to a boil and after 7 minutes remove from heat and cover the pan for 7 minutes. Always perfect.
Honored Contributor

pressure cooker

otherwise the way Julia Child used

Valued Contributor

I use an egg cooker!

Esteemed Contributor

Product DetailsI got this from Amazon, but they sell other brands here at the Q. Perfect boiled eggs every time.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein