Respected Contributor

Re: How to hard-cook eggs--everyone's got an opinion

I agree that the freshest eggs are the hardest to peel.  I have learned to let them get a little aged before hard-cooking. This does not mean boiling really "old" eggs bordering on spoilage, though.

The Wasington Post story linked in the original post mentions the "older eggs are easier" theory.

Respected Contributor

Easy to peel has little to do with the cooking method used.It has everything to do with the size of the air sac at the large end of the egg...The fresher the egg, the smaller the air sac, the more difficult to peel..As the egg ages, the air sac becomes larger, making eggs easier to peel.

You can also take a thumbtack and put a pinhole in the large (air sac) end of the egg before boiling...This is the method employed by most automatic egg cookers....

Honored Contributor

We use one of those little egg cookers. DH loves it. The eggs peel easily.

PDP main image

Honored Contributor

I do it Rachel Ray's way.

Frequent Contributor

I use the pressure cooker also. Just a little water under the steam rack. I've done fresh eggs from the chicken coop and they almost peel themselves.

Age doesn't make a difference. Steaming does.

High pressure for 6 minutes for hard boiled.

I also use my egg cooker from QVC. Steaming is the trick

Esteemed Contributor

The first thing that I do is take the eggs out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before cooking.  Then, I put them in cold water with salt and let them come to a boil.  Cover, burn off the flame, and let them sit on the same burner for 23 minutes.  For some reason, the 15 minutes does not work for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

There is no question for me, steaming is the way to go! You don't need to buy special steamers, just use a pan with a veggie steamer. Place eggs in steamer basket, bring water to a simmer and steam for 10 minutes. Then lift out steamer, empty water from pan, put eggs back in pan and shake around to crack the shells. Cover in cold water and some ice cubes. Wait five minutes then peel. Peels practically fall off!

Super Contributor

The best way? Order an Eggspress Egg Cooker from QVC -- hands down, one of the best things I've bought in 20 years of shopping here. I can't tell you how many people I've recommended it to.

Hard-boiled eggs are a snap, though poached take a bit of practice regarding how much water to use (I like the yolks still runny. Of course, the DH liked them more firm. That's why I have two of the small ones Smiley Very Happy).

Hell, I have three of them (the original, the locking one with the buzzer, and the deluxe -- I call them the flying saucers and the mothership. When I saw the deluxe was on clearance and wasn't going to br reordered (why on earth not?), I ordered a backup and squirrelled it away in case something happens to my pink baby.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

Lol ... interesting article.

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1

Hi novamc!   Good to see you posting some; how is the move going? 

While I like the steam method (even for fresh eggs), I have the egg cooker from the Q and find it works great for hard cooking eggs, even fresh ones.  Just plunge them into ice cold water after cooking and the shell practically falls off.  It doesn't seem to matter if the eggs are fresh or have a few days of age on them!