Honored Contributor

Re: How to do cook your turkey?

@SXMGirl ---oh you should use it!! Never thought I would use one  either but I use it nearly everyday . Start out simple like frozen french fries--they turn out fabulously! Frozen foods do surprisingly well---

Respected Contributor

My husband makes our turkey and our stuffing.  He roasts it in the oven in a cooking bag - always delicious and moist!

Respected Contributor

i pat mine down with butter salt and pepper,and stufff a few celery sticks and cut up apples in the inside.i use a bag that has been coated with flour,and cook in oven on low.makes the beat turkey juices for gravy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Greenberg does mine for Christmas and my SIL does a cajun one for Thanksgiving.

Greenberg

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@layla2450 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SXMGirl 

I roast in a 325 degree oven.  The spices should be good anywhere.  Poultry seasoning is delicious!!!!

I am a former Home Economics teacher.

What does that have to do with cooking a turkey? NADA.

@layla2450 : Comment kinda harsh. 

It really is harsh but maybe she does not realize Home Ec. teachers teach cooking as part of their curriculum.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I cooked a 10 pound turkey a few days ago. I was thinking it wouldn't come out too good because it had been in the freezer since last year. It came out great. I injected it and cooked it at 325. It was really good.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the first time I'm going to spatchcock my turkey.  I have a bird in the 10 to 14 pound range ordered so it should take no longer that 1 1/2 hours.  I plan to dry brine it with kosher salt and Penzey's poultry seasoning.  I am busy researching gravey recipes that do not require the drippings from a regular roasted turkey.  Most involve using the wings and giblets and the backbone that I will remove from the bird and make a turkey stock.  Wish me luck!

Trusted Contributor

@JillyMarie wrote:

For the first time I'm going to spatchcock my turkey.  I have a bird in the 10 to 14 pound range ordered so it should take no longer that 1 1/2 hours.  I plan to dry brine it with kosher salt and Penzey's poultry seasoning.  I am busy researching gravey recipes that do not require the drippings from a regular roasted turkey.  Most involve using the wings and giblets and the backbone that I will remove from the bird and make a turkey stock.  Wish me luck!

That should come out good!  I'd love to know how you like it.  I've spatchcocked chicken and it cooks so much quicker and juicy.  I'll still roast my turkey whole -- If I change anything my family will get upset!  LOL  

Valued Contributor

@KaySD I do my turkey similar. Easiest way and comes out perfect every time. I actually roast two breasts at a time in the same large roaster.  Just rough chop your celery, onion and carrots and throw them into the roasting pan and set your prepared turkey breasts on top.  If you need guidance, this Food Network recipe is spot on and you can tweak it to your liking.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/roast-turkey-breast-with-gravy-recipe-21180...