Honored Contributor

🐑 How to cook lamb shoulder in a ....... 🐑

Convection countertop oven.   Lamb shoulder that looks like a steak....Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at Thu, Feb 21, 2019-12.29.04 PM.png

I have the spices & do know I must marinate for several hours.  What I do not know is the oven temp and for how long?

Lamb shoulder (steaks) are tough.  I was thinking 4 hours oven baking time?

Should the lamb pan be covered w/aluminum foil while cooking?  Uncovered?

I DO NOT want to braise lamb first.

I have already Googled & YouTube searched.  Most of the recipies are for pan cooked/seared lamb chops and/or calls for braising first which I want to avoid. 

Thank you in advance

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Re: 🐑 How to cook lamb shoulder in a ....... 🐑

[ Edited ]

Cannot tell how many pounds it is, but if is only approximately the size of a sirloin strip steak or so I would broil it like a steak...you want it still a little on the pink side.  That's how I always cook lamb chops or kidney chops.  If it's a leg of lamb then I oven roast it.  I would roast a leg of lamb maybe 20 minutes per pound.  But certainly not 4 hours because you don't want well done lamb...again you want it a little on the pink side, not well done because it will certainly be tough then.

This looks more like a lamb shoulder CHOP style piece of meat so under the broiler it would go for me.

Valued Contributor

That cut of meat has a LOT of FAT.

Honored Contributor

If this were slices of pork shoulder, I would marinate for several hours, sear quickly in a hot iron skillet, then finish internal cooking in a 375 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes.

My family doesn’t like lamb, so I’m not familiar with the size and weight of this cut of meat.   

Trusted Contributor

I am looking at this as almost a beef short rib, as I cook leg of lamb and lamb steaks, but not this cut. If it is tough, then I take it to cook as you would beef short ribs. Maybe searing, and cooking in the oven for maybe 15 minutes might get the results you are looking for? But, then again, beef short ribs take more time, using the braising method that you are not looking for? Some how, I would think you need to render out some of the fat...I have a flip pan that might do the trick, but not sure what you have in your cooking arsenal....Maybe grilling? or smoking? or browning in a pressure cooker and placing on a rack to finish?

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac  How thick is this shoulder steak?

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

@forrestwolf 

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at Sat, Feb 23, 2019-1.05.01 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Found this recipe at All Recipes. Sounds like it would be good. I have never ate lamb. What does it taste like?

lambCapture.PNG

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Lamb has a very unique taste like venison.  Although I do not consider lamb "game meat." Hard to explain.  I always eat lamb w/mint jelly.  I do not care for it w/o it.

Thanks for the receipe.  I also checked All Receipies.com.  Somehow I missed that receipe because I didn't use the word "chops."

I use to just broil my lamb which suited me just fine.  However, I recently started getting the "thicker" lamb steaks (shoulder chops) & broiling was not kicking it - meat too tough.

I am a lazy cook.  I cannot fanthom "searing" meat then popping it into the oven.  To much "cleaning up."  Why dirty up a pot when you don't have too? hidemf3.gif Broiling does all the searing for me.

Lamb has been marinating for 2 days now.  Am serving it for din-din tomorrow.  Will post back how it came out.

Again, thanks for finding that receipe.

Instead of "searing" prior to "baking," I will remove the foil during the last 15-20 minutes cooking time & broil both sides.

Honored Contributor

we eat quite a bit of lamb, but i would not compare it to venison at all. it is a totally different flavor. it does matter where the lamb comes from also.....it can have an effect on the taste.

i prefer it in a stew that is cooked low and slow OR  braised, also cooked slowly (especially when using shoulder.)

my favorite pieces of lamb are lamp chops, loin chops, and lamb shanks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein