Valued Contributor

Re: How to cook a turkey breast with FLAVOR

Yum
Honored Contributor

@Magny ...I am also cooking for Thanksgiving...just two of us...I looked at the recipe from Ina Garten...where it calls for dry white wine....am I supposed to use a COOKING wine or can I use the Pino Griot that I have in the fridge?  Thanks

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   My opinion is to always use wine that you would drink--not that kitchen "cooking wine" for recipes.  So that Pinot Grigio in your refrigerator would definitely work.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435   Thanks so much for the reply.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine Ina Garten ever using a cooking wine, or a cooking sherry, for that matter.  For one thing, they have way too much salt in them.  Ben there done that years ago, I learned my lesson with turkey soup.  

Honored Contributor

Usually a tastless turkey is due to over cooking. You can season the bejebbers outta it, inside and out--but if you over cook it----its toast!!!  Get a good meat thermometer and check it often and just as it gets to about 155-160*--take it out, tent it with foil and let it sit for about 1/2 hr---it will continue to cook while sitting---165* is what poultry should be---

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Magny ...I am also cooking for Thanksgiving...just two of us...I looked at the recipe from Ina Garten...where it calls for dry white wine....am I supposed to use a COOKING wine or can I use the Pino Griot that I have in the fridge?  Thanks

@Mom2Dogs   They (professional chefs) usually say not to use cooking wine.

Honored Contributor

While Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it does not involve greed or candy it is a least favorite meal.  Because I am not having guests this year I am having Maine lobster and risotto.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

@ImABoor 

Can either of you or both advise me of the flavor that renders using the onion soups? Is it overly oniony? I ask because my son is not a big onion guy, but my husband and I are. They both sound interesting and delicious. Someone else wrote about rubbing the bird with Mayo which also would probably produce a nice color on the skin.  Thanks, I can't believe the creative ideas! I always just rubbed butter or olive oil in and out, sprinkle spices and Bells seasoning, sliced onions inside and criss cross bacon on the top of the bird or breast, laid on a bed of vegetables which helps with the drippings for the gravy. The vegetables always helped keep the bird moist.

Super Contributor

@ImABoor @Sounds good and easy too!