Super Contributor

Re: How to cook a turkey breast with FLAVOR

Thick sliced bacon on top  or fst-bsck....I also slip the skin and put butter between skin and meat....granny smith apples, white wine, a little butter and broth to baste....... 

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Our restaurant Thanksgiving dinner is cancelled this year.  Since there are only two of us, how can I do one of those frozen turkey breasts and not make it come out so blah?  

You can also pick up some great cooking tips by visiting the various turkey producer websites.

They also give cooking and defrosting information, and they also have recipes on their websites.

They'll also tell you how long to roast your turkey for, by weight.

The major turkey brands here in the U.S. are: Butterball turkey, Honeysuckle turkey, and Jenni-O turkey.

If I want leftovers for my husband and myself, I will buy a 6-7 pound bone-in turkey breast.

I like to oven roast it to get that particular roasted flavor.

I'll roast it at 325 degrees, until done with a meat thermometer.

I'll oil the breast lighlty first with a small amount of cooking oil, and then I season it lightly with some seasoned salt.

I'll then add some pepper too and then that's it for the seasonings on it for us, because I'll also serve some gravy with it on the side.

Honored Contributor

@depglass @Toppers3 

I am the turkey person in my family.  My step grandmother, whom I loved made the most flavorful turkey I had ever eaten, and I quizzed her for several years before I got it all down.

After she passed, my uncle, just 35, (4 years older than me), had tears in his eyes because I made his mother's turkey that he thought he had lost.

First, for turkey that's moist, even out of the fridge the next day, bake in a bag (don't forget to shake a little flour around), at 325, not 350.

I get a whole turkey, (24 lbs), wash and clean it out.  then I put it in the bag.

Then the inside and outside gets covered in melted butter.

Using about 3 heaping TBSP of each spice- poultry seasoning, marjorum, celery seed, I mix them, and rub the entire inside of the turkey, then stuff.  (If you don't want to stuff, put in whole stalks of celery.

Remix your spices again for the outside of the turkey.  Reach up the back and cover the legs and side well, then the breast.  If you run out, mix more spices. Close the bag, cut the vents and bake. 

These are gentle spices.  Dried is half the flavor of fresh.  Turkey is so bland, it needs help.  If you're hesitant, do a dry run with chicken.

Carefully pour off the broth for your gravy.

Be sure to rest about half an hour before slicing.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I have to roast, I love the crispy seasoned skin on the outside, yum!

@KingstonsMom 

I get crispy skin with a bag and the meat is amazingly moist!Smiley Happy (Along with a 325 degree oven.).Smiley Happy

Contributor

My go to for juicy poultry is to brine!  It is simple and never fails.  All you need is a combination of water, salt, herbs and/or aromatics along with something sweet...I often use apple cider.  One of my friends uses molasses and orange in her brine and she says the skin turns out crispy and dark.  You do, however, need to keep an eye on your turkey if you use the molasses as the sweet, as you don't want the bird too dark, thus tenting might be in order.  There are tons of recipes for brine online.  Take a look and take a chance.  It is always a hit in my house.     

Respected Contributor

@depglass  This may sound like a strange thing but it makes a tender and wonderful turkey.

Make a mixture of mayonnaise and herbs. I use sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub over the turkey inside and out. I put foil over the turkey until it is almost done and remove.

You can use any herbs you want, it is the mayonnaise that makes it tender.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cook two turkey breasts every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am asked to make them for several other friends as well but limit that due to being so busy.  They turn out perfect every time. I always use disposable roasting pans....easy to transport if taking to someone else’s house and also easy cleanup. Be sure to keep the bag tied until ready to serve. It takes much less time to cook the breast than a whole turkey, so you free up the oven for other things sooner. 

1. Always use an oven cooking bag. I usually get the turkey-sized one if cooking a 12lb breast. If it seems way too big, tuck the extra parts under the breast when you put it in pan to roast. 
2. I thoroughly clean and rinse the breast and trim or remove any neckbone that may be present.
3. I place pats of butter in the space between the skin and the meat...it is under the skin but not directly on the meat.
4. I add a whole or quartered white onion and small pieces of celery into the neck cavity..helps flavor the broth...include the celery stalk leaves
5. Lightly rub the outside of the breast skin with olive oil...just enough that fresh rosemary can be sprinkled all over and will stay on the breast. Use dried rosemary if you don't have fresh. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Follow directions on cooking bag box.
Enjoy! Serve with the stuffing muffins!

Honored Contributor

@ImABoor wrote:

I put the turkey breast in the slow cooker. I rub an envelope of dry onion soup all over the breast & under the skin. I do not add any liquid.  I cook it on high for 1 hour, then low for 7 hours.  The cooking time will depend on the size of the breast.

You can look at Allrecipes.com for other recipes.

@ImABoor  

I'm also an onion soup fan for poultry.  In a whole turkey, I add the whole can of Campell's French Onion soup inside the turkey (and a couple garlic cloves) and it permeates & steams the bird from inside out.  I also add another can to the outside (if it's a large turkey).  Not only is the flavor amazing, but it does wonders for the gravy or juices.   Fresh herbs are nice too. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass   Do you live  near a Cracker Barrel?  They are offering several meal deals.  I plan on calling and picking up.  Gone are the days I cooked everything from scratch -- fresh sweet potatoes, macaroni & cheese, dressing, homemade rolls, fresh vegetable, cranberry sauce and of course, the turkey.

For your turkey breast -- salt & pepper and also use poultry seasoning.  Dot with butter and baste with butter which will give it flavor.  You can use margarine as substitute.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I printed out Meredith Lawrence's slow cooker turkey breast. and it is a toss-up between that and Ina's roasted turkey breast.  My first thought was to order a complete dinner from a local restaurant, but I am giving the slow cooker one a try this week to see how it comes out.  I love to cook and can make just about anything, except a really good turkey.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!