Honored Contributor

How to cook a turkey breast with FLAVOR

Our restaurant Thanksgiving dinner is cancelled this year.  Since there are only two of us, how can I do one of those frozen turkey breasts and not make it come out so blah?  

Respected Contributor

Re: How to cook a turkey breast with FLAVOR

@depglass   Great question, I will be looking forward to the answer. I have heard cooking it upside down or using an oven bag.

Trusted Contributor

I always do the turkey breast on the rotisserie outside, gas grill, even in the winter.  It continually bastes itself while turning.  Comes out great.  Garlic and pepper are my seasonings of choice. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass  I put butter mixed with dry chicken boullin  beneath skin and cavity or inject into the turkey. 

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Our restaurant Thanksgiving dinner is cancelled this year.  Since there are only two of us, how can I do one of those frozen turkey breasts and not make it come out so blah?  

Ina Garten has a recipe for herb-roasted turkey breast that is easy & delicious.  My husband loves it, & he usually doesn’t care for turkey.  It’s sort of a marinade/rub, but turkey can be roasted immediately.  I use a kosher, fresh half breast, as it happens, from Trader Joe, & it’s really good.  Don’t overcook.  

Look it up on line.  HTH

Honored Contributor

I inject with melted butter or sometimes cajun butter injectable, available in grocery stores, WalMart, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

GENTLY lift the skin from one end and tuck butter and herbs underneath.   

You can also brine it first.  Whenever I've brined a chicken prior to cooking it always has more flavor.  The butter trick also helps a lot and keeps the meat moist. 

GOOD LUCK.   We are 2, but may be 3.   Either way,  I'm going to buy a small whole turkey and spatchcock it like I did last year.  It cooked very evenly in about 1-1/2 hours and was fabulous.   

Frequent Contributor

I put the turkey breast in the slow cooker. I rub an envelope of dry onion soup all over the breast & under the skin. I do not add any liquid.  I cook it on high for 1 hour, then low for 7 hours.  The cooking time will depend on the size of the breast.

You can look at Allrecipes.com for other recipes.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too would cook it in a slow cooker.  I would only add a small amount of broth and some fresh herbs. Set on low for 8 hrs........  Love my crock pot!  This is how I always cook my whole chickens.   You can even cook your veggies with it if you prefer, I've done it with and without.

Honored Contributor

I have to roast, I love the crispy seasoned skin on the outside, yum!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.