Respected Contributor

Re: How often are you having fish meals, not counting tuna

Hi Qualitygal and Merry Christmas to you! Living in Florida, we eat a lot of fish by choice. I have found some marvelous recipes on the "Fresh from Florida web-site. They are all virtually "translatable" to whatever fish is available. Yesterday on Valerie Bertinelli's cooking show, she made a marvelous, simply baked fish that looked a lot like tilapia, but I think she said is was some species of sea bass. That doesn't matter: what matters is what she dressed them up with. After yesterday's little indulgences at our holiday party, beautiful clean fresh fish is on the menu tonight and I am making this fish. Now I have to go to the Food TV site and find it!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

We have baked or broiled fish once or twice a week.  We also go totally meatless on Tuesdays.  I have given up red meat and hubby is getting there.  We aren't interested in vegetarianism, our goal is to eliminate red meat entirely and to have fish or poultry just 5 or 6 times a week.

Honored Contributor

I wish I enjoyed fish but I really don't care for it much but I have to say the crusted frozen tilapia at Costco is rather good.

The first time I actually "cooked" a piece of fish was a Rachael Ray recipe which was heat olive oil/butter and add tilapia seasoned with cumin.  Cook a few minutes each side and serve . . . pretty darn good too.

Honored Contributor

I love most fish but I have a helpful hint for you about salmon.  When I moved my mother in with me she hated fish.  If you marinate fresh salmon in pineapple juice you get rid of some of the fishy taste and also be very careful about overcooking it.  Raw fish does not taste fishy (sushi). 

BARBECUE ROASTED SALMON

This is a good recipe if you have family members not overly fond of salmon.

1/4 c pineapple juice
2 T fresh lemon juice
4 salmon fillets
2 T brown sugar
4 t chili powder
2 t lemon zest, chopped
3/4 t ground cumin
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground cinnamon
lemon slices (optional)

Combine pineapple juice, lemon juice and salmon in zip-top plastic bag. Marinate in fridge for an hour occasionally turning.

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.

Remove fish from marinade. Discard marinade. Combine rest of ingredients (except lemon slices) in a bowl. Rub over fish. Place in a baking dish coated with oil or cooking spray. Bake for about 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Sooner, if they grew up having to have fish every Friday, (childhood) that might have been one reason, or if it was due to the mercury scare years ago that happened. Otherwise, I don't know. Just guessing...

LOL!!!!  Nope, wasn't for religious reasons.  It was WAY before the mercury scare, and I am always puzzled by it.  Maybe it was a regional thing.  Maybe it wasn't "lady-like" to like fish, but almost to a woman the older set (in their late 80s and 90s now) would react in horror if anyone mentioned consuming or cooking F I S H!  

I don't know many women younger (60s or 70s) in my life who don't eat and enjoy fish.  Even cooking it.  And it may like I say be peculiar to where I was raised.  Just thought I'd ask!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We buy frozen salmon filets at Costco and have them about twice a month.  Fishy cooking odor seems to be nonexistent when (1) the fish is sprinkled with fresh lemon juice before topping it with any other ingredients, and (2) when the cooking method is oven baking, rather than searing or pan-cooking.

Just about any fish tastes good when topped with Old Bay seasoning, melted butter (or a combo of maple syrup and butter), or a Dijon/mayonnaise mixture topped with panko crumbs.

No fish is worth eating, to me, however, without some good tartar sauce on the side........either homemade in my own kitchen or Ken's refrigerated tartar sauce.  I cannot stand any other brands I've tried on the market.  Is anyone else real picky about tartar sauce or have you found a good one?

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne

Was interested in your info about marinating fish.  I have a marinade (soy sauce, chopped garlic, maple syrup) that I sometimes use, but everything I've ever read about cooking fish advises NEVER to marinate it for more than 20-30 minutes, so the texture won't change.

Don't know if that's true, though.

Honored Contributor

Zero!   I do not like fish, period.   My husband and daughters prepare cod, perch, and salmon for themselves.   

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

I have heard that about marinating fish also.  When I roast salmon I purchase thick filets and it is a pretty sturdy fish so 1 hour does not seem to do any damage. 

Thin filets I cook on the stove top because it is just too easy to overcook fish in the oven. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne, Thanks!! I'm adding your info for this too.

I'm so thankful for everyone's help on this. I really appreciate it!