Occasional Contributor

How long should I cook frozen homemade rolled dumplings?

I made a big batch of rolled (as opposed to drop-style) dumplings for chicken and dumplings.  I have frozen a bag of uncooked dumplings (no broth or chicken just the rolled dough cut into peices). It just occured to me I have no idea how long I'll need to cook them from frozen. When they are fresh the recipe calls for them to be added to boiling broth, covered and let simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. I'm guessing from frozen the time will be longer but can someone please tell me how much longer and if they should still be covered?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long should I cook frozen homemade rolled dumplings?

Hope this helps.

E-Z Chicken n DumplingsHome » Recipes » Main Dishes » E-Z Chicken n Dumplings
Ingredients:
  • 1 package 24 oz. Anne’s Flat Dumpling Strips
  • 3-5 Tablespoons Anne’s Chicken Base
  • 1 13-15 oz. Canned cooked chicken
  • 4 Quarts water salted with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:

Bring to a boil in a large 6 qt. stock pot, 4 quarts salted water. Add the chicken base. Remove the frozen dumplings from freezer while water is heating. Separate each layer of dumplings as needed and drop 8-10 in boiling broth stirring under as added. As broth comes back to a boil, add more dumplings, stirring after each addition until all are in boiling broth. Cook at a full boil about 10-12 minutes or until desired tenderness is achieved Add cooked chicken and boil 2 more minutes. Check to see if more salt is needed and add pepper as desired.

Remove from heat, cover and wait 20-30 minutes before serving. For old fashioned chicken and dumplings, cook a whole chicken until tender and use the broth to cook dumplings making sure you add enough water to have at least 4 quarts of liquid to cook a box of dumplings. To enhance the flavor, add some Anne’s Chicken Base. Remove meat from bones and add to cooked dumplings. Follow rest of recipe above.

This is backwards to how I make them.  I boil the chicken to get the broth.  Oh, well, it is Chicken & Dumplings.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Re: How long should I cook frozen homemade rolled dumplings?

Just check them as they boil away. We do that frequently.