Super Contributor

How long can a casserole sit out before baking?

Good morning. I am having company over for dinner tonight. I am making the Pioneer Woman's recipe for her baked ziti. I want to have it made and in the dish and ready to go before my guests arrive. I don't want them to see me cook and do dishes-- I want to be able to enjoy the relish tray and talk with them while it's baking. How long do you thinks it's safe to have it sit on the counter before baking? The sauce and noodles would be hot and the cheese mixture cold.  I would think it would sit no longer than 25 minutes before I put it in the oven.  I'm not sure if that would be safe. Thank you for all replies. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: How long can a casserole sit out before baking?

If sitting on the counter for 25 minutes is room temperature, I see no harm. Perhaps putting foil or plastic wrap over it to protect it from anything airborne would be ideal. You can remove the protection when you are about to put it in the oven. Bacteria grows in warmth and humidity. So if your counter is in direct sunshine or your house is kept at a tropical temperature, you might have concern. Normal room temps (generally around 68F) will not do harm in that amount of time.

I’ve prepared food like a roast or a casserole and left it on the counter for a half hour while the oven heated or I got the salad prepped and it came out of the oven just as tasty and not at any risk to human life. 

Enjoy your dinner party. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds like there is nothing to spoil or go bad.  Im sure 25 min left out is not problem, but why not put it in the fridge until your are ready to bake it?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

25 mins on the counter sounds fine to me.  I'd do it in my own kitchen and serve it to guests.

Have a nice time.🍝🍷

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

To be safe, I'd put in the fridge. Or put in oven 5-10 before guests arrive.

Valued Contributor

I’ve done this with baked ziti alot. I covered it with foil and made sure it wasn’t in the sun (we have a sunny kitchen). 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

You're safe.  The acid in the tomatoes will keep you safe plus the heat in the oven.  You'd be good for an hour or so actually.