New Contributor

Re: How do you make your meatballs soft

I still use my mom's 'recipe'. Depending on how much (I usually do 1-2 pounds for a family meal).

2 slices of some type of bread (=about 1 cup broken into small pieces)

(with or without crusts - your choice)

Add just enough milk to moisten - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 cup

Mix with meat with 2 Med. eggs, onion, chopped garlic, your choice of spices (I use basil, oregano, salt/pepper) milk moistened bread

Mix using your hands! It's fun!

Pour ketchup across top & spread over top

Place in loaf pan (or a glass dish as a round meatloaf) and cook till juices run clear.

Bake 350 F about 45-60 minutes

Always moist, always yummy and always open for 'hiding the veggies' if you want too. I have also used oatmeal instead of bread. 1/2 C oatmeal moisten w/milk. It's the milk that helps moisten the meatloaf. The bread can add flavor and add substance if you need/want it. I do meatballs with the same recipe and always seem to get compliments. I brown/sear the meatballs in frypan to 'set' them before adding to sauce. Could put in preheated oven for about 15-20 min too. Never tried.

Honored Contributor

I make mine similar to sugarflake but bake them in oven 20-25 minutes...then add to sauce or freeze what I don't need.
Super Contributor

I am in the one egg per 1 lb of meat. More eggs leads to spongy meatballs. Here is a good. Bon Appetit article talking about common mistakes http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/the-8-most-common-meatball-making-mis...
Trusted Contributor

I have the answer and I promise you this is it. I have tons of Italian friends who are the best cooks. One of them has the secret to making light, soft meatballs. Here goes:

I use beef. (about a pound of chuck). You can use whatever meat you want.

Mix plenty of grated parmesan cheese, one or two eggs, garlic, parsley, and bread crumbs. Some people use onions. I don't.

Mix together. Then little by little add WATER until the mixture barely stays together.

Roll into golf sized meatballs. My friend broils hers. I throw them right in the sauce and let simmer a few hours. They will flavor your sauce, but they will stay soft.

They will be delicious!

Trusted Contributor

I'm 100% Italian and I now make my meatballs with ground turkey. I soak my white bread in lots of milk crumble it and then I also add some of the milk and a little olive oil ( the milk and oil really makes them soft and juicy) oh don't include the crusts of the bread. Then I add fresh finely chopped garlic or you could use garlic powder, onion powder, lots of grated Parmesan cheese, dry bread crumbs, salt, fresh chopped parsley and eggs. Mix it all together but don't mix it a lot. I then make a small one and fry it so I can tell if they're seasoned enough. Then I fry all of them thoroughly because some of us love to eat them just fried and put the gravy on top. The others I put in the gravy but not for long. They come out so soft and delicious.
Super Contributor

Someone told me a long time ago to add one tablespoon of milk to the mixture ... I tried it and it works ... have been doing that ever since ...

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~