Honored Contributor

Re: How do you make your meatballs soft

I don't make meatballs but could you add meat tenderizer? Just an idea...

Respected Contributor

On 8/4/2014 adoreqvc said:

My Mother and Grandmother were accomplished cooks and taught me to use stale bread and remove the ends then soak the bread in some milk and squeeze most of the milk out. Then crumble and add to meat mixture and mix well.

I also add ready seasoned dry breadcrumbs, some parmesan cheese, and other spices as well a 2 beaten eggs.

After everything is mixed well I finish off with one tablespoon of water and do the final mix.

I usually bake elevated on the rack in the convection cycle until browned well, then drain on paper towels and freeze in zip lock bags, or place in simmering meat sauce.

This amount of liquid in the meat mixture is what ensures the end result of the meatballs always turn out soft and delicious.

My mom and her sisters were Sicilian and this is the method we use. Of course, we always used fresh garlic and Italian flat parsley along with a healthy handful of parmesean cheese. Most of the time we fried them a tad, not all the way through before dropping them in the sauce.

Valued Contributor

Taught to me years ago by a fantastic Italian cook.

Two eggs per lb of chopped meat. White bread soaked in water and squeeze dry. A little dry bread crumbs, small chopped onion, garlic.

The secret to soft meatballs is the amount of eggs to white bread (you can use Italian bread). Soak it good and squeeze dry. Mix everything together and the mix will start out soupy but begins to come together.

Don't squeeze the meat. Keep it soft and 'throw the mixture' between the palms of your hands until it forms a ball. I either bake them quickly or stick in the micro quickly just to drain the fat. Then they all go in the gravy (sauce).

Contributor

Both of my grandmothers came from Sicily. My Dad's mom never made meatballs, always a piece of meat on the bone slow simmered in the sauce for flavor. My Mom's mother was famous for her spaghetti & meatballs, always slow simmered in the sauce for at least 4-5 hours, melt in your mouth good.

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 kmax said:

Both of my grandmothers came from Sicily. My Dad's mom never made meatballs, always a piece of meat on the bone slow simmered in the sauce for flavor. My Mom's mother was famous for her spaghetti & meatballs, always slow simmered in the sauce for at least 4-5 hours, melt in your mouth good.

Sauce varied from week to week. Pork neck bones was the most popular. Browned and seasoned with SP, loads of garlic, parsley and oregano. Then just cans of tomato sauce and a lot of stirring. A pinch of red pepper was usually snuck in by my grandfather. Then, when plated, some fresh basil was snipped on top.

The next week we may have sauce made with lamb stew meat. This is a family favorite with us.

Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 Ceci said:

Two eggs per lb of chopped meat. White bread soaked in water and squeeze dry. A little dry bread crumbs, small chopped onion, garlic.

The secret to soft meatballs is the amount of eggs to white bread (you can use Italian bread). Soak it good and squeeze dry. Mix everything together and the mix will start out soupy but begins to come together.

Don't squeeze the meat. Keep it soft and 'throw the mixture' between the palms of your hands until it forms a ball. I either bake them quickly or stick in the micro quickly just to drain the fat. Then they all go in the gravy (sauce).

How much white bread to the pound of meat? Thanks.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 house_cat said:
On 8/5/2014 Ceci said:

1-2 slices. I have also done 1 slice of bread and some bread crumbs for 2 lbs. of meat.

Regular Contributor

The main reason meatballs or meatloaf gets hard or solid is working it too much. Just mix it - don't squeeze it. I brown mine then cook in sauce for a good while - they get like butta!

Super Contributor

I use hamburg for italian meatballs with breadcrumbs, garlic salt, pepper, eggs. I find the more eggs the softer they are. Plus chopped parsley, oregano then I brown them in olive oil on all sides then add them to my tomato sauce. Magnifique!

Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Gooday said:
On 8/6/2014 house_cat said:
On 8/5/2014 Ceci said:

1-2 slices. I have also done 1 slice of bread and some bread crumbs for 2 lbs. of meat.

Thank you. I'm making some this weekend. I'm going to try it. I have only potato bread. I wonder if that works the same. I'll let you know.

~ house cat ~