Honored Contributor

Re: How do you make your cookies CHEWY??

I use butter flavor crisco instead of butter and don't bake them as long.  Now I want cookies!!!!

Honored Contributor

Cookies containing moist ingredients like raisins,  dates,  chopped apple,  banana are more likely to be soft and chewy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

undercook them slightly

use real butter

keep a slice or two of white bread in whatever you are storing the cookies in.....it keeps them soft and fresh tasting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

This may sound strange, but if I've already baked cookies and found them to be crunchier than I would like, I put the cookies in an airtight container and either: add a couple of apple slices for a few hours (good with cookies like oatmeal spice, where a little added apple flavor is nice), or I dampen a paper towel, squeeze it tightly to remove all excess water, straighten it out then place the slightly damp paper towel in with the cookies.  The cookies absorb the water and because soft/chewy.  I've been doing this trick for years.  

And thanks to everyone else's suggestions.  I'll give them a try!

Trusted Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Don't bake them as long.

Thats what I do and they are chewie not crisp.

Trusted Contributor

@Jamma wrote:

@sweetee2 wrote:

Don't bake them as long.

Thats what I do and they are chewie not crisp.

I do the same as the both of you.

I just take them out just a little bit earlier, and this seems to help them stay softer. I prefer cookies that are softer and chewier, than crisper. It's just a personal preference. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Good question @Katcat1

Does anyone cook on a different level in the oven (instead of in the middle)?

Does anyone lower the oven temperature for a longer bake time?

Valued Contributor

Don't bake them as long! Enjoy
Frequent Contributor

Most of the time my cookies come out chewy and I "think" the trick to getting a chewy cookie may be to cream the butter and sugar no less than 7 minutes. I have a kitchen aid which makes that part a breeze. I get the butter and sugars going then while that's mixing I prepare the dry ingredients.  When I mix the dry ingredients together I bring the mixture up with the spoon and shake it into the bowl to incorporate air, it's like a lazy sifting. Then baking, if it's a new recipe I bake on the lowest time then go from there.  If it's a tried and true recipe I bake them the amount of time I've noted and they come out the same every time - chewy 😋

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1  Somebody mentioned Alton Brown in this thread.  He did an episode on Good Eats called "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" where he discussed chocolate chips cookies and how to make The Chewy, The Puffy, The Thin.

The link to the three on Food Network is:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/cl-series/three-chips-for-sister-marsha2.html

Here's the recipe for The Chewy:

EPISODE:     Three Chips for Sister Marsha

The Chewy

Total Time:   1 hr 50 min   Prep:  20 min  Inactive:  1 hr  Cook:  30 min

Yield:   2 dozen cookies

8 ounces unsalted butter
12 ounces bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ounces granulated sugar
8 ounces light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 ounce whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

• Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
  • Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda onto a paper plate. Pour the butter into your stand mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, whisk together the whole egg, the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup. Reduce the mixer speed and slowly add the egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
  • Using the paper plate as a slide, gradually integrate the dry ingredients, stopping a couple of times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Once the flour is worked in, drop the speed to "stir" and add the chocolate chips. Chill the dough for 1 hour.
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven.
  • Scoop the dough into 1 1/2-ounce portions onto parchment-lined half sheet pans, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake 2 sheets at a time for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. Remove from the oven, slide the parchment with the cookies onto a cooling rack and wait at least 5 minutes before devouring.

The darker the sugar you use, the chewier your cookies will be.

Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown