Respected Contributor

Re: How do you cook your ham?

Thanks everyone. These recipes all look so good.
Esteemed Contributor

My favorite is to score the top, insert whole cloves, and then glaze with pineapple and brown sugar.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

On 3/22/2015 denisemb said:

You're gonna laugh, but I'm a big fan of Aldi's hams. They have a spiral sliced with glaze like Honeybaked, but I buy the shank or butt ends and bake (warm) them according to package instructions. If I can get some Vernor's ginger ale I pour that over in honor of my late mother. Smiley Wink

Not laughing at all....Aldi's hams are really very good! And added bonus is that they are very inexpensive! Smile The ginger ale sounds good on the ham.

Honored Contributor

Even a fully cooked ham is far better if it is heated enough to get heated through and let that fat in the ham start running. That gives better flavor than just getting it warm.

Honored Contributor

For Easter? Actually I really hate having a warm ham. I like the honey baked but at room temperature. I never cook my ham for this particular holiday. Set it on the table with my baked beans and scalloped potatoes and we're all set.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

My husband does not like ham. The only time I even buy it is for ham fried rice, he'll eat it in that.

We get a spiral cut ham every year from his financial guys, I give it to my friend.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

tigriss, do you send out invitations? Love the bourbon brown sugar idea. YUM

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Frequent Contributor

My family and I are probably in the minority-but I am not a honey baked ham fan. In fact, we don't like anything sweet on our ham. I always buy a plain butt ham-wrap in foil who it does not dry out and cook at 300 for about 15 min per pound (or less) and I will usually add some water to the pan. I just love the saltiness of plain old ordinary ham.

Respected Contributor

On 3/23/2015 cookie5 said:

tigriss, do you send out invitations? Love the bourbon brown sugar idea. YUM

Sure do! You can do this on a smoked ham or a fresh ham. I'm not a big drinker, but I do cook with it. I also like the idea of the beer and brown sugar. The ginger ale sounds great if you get one with real ginger in it. The acid also tenderizes it. We often use the ham juices to cook a pot of rice, so it makes for great rice as well!

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 chickenbutt said:

I get the Kansas City hams because I REALLY like them. They aren't pumped full of water and salt like many others, so they are good clean meat and not at all salty. One other thing I like about KC hams is that they don't use the liquid smoke to call the ham 'smoked'. They actually smoke them.

So ok, then I make a glaze that is pretty much apple cider vinegar, yellow mustard, brown sugar, and some maple syrup (actual MAPLE syrup, not pancake syrup). Just those four ingredients. I kind of got some ideas and tweaked some recipes together to make this and we really like it a LOT.

I blend the glaze ingredients. At first I was just putting it on cold but then it occurred to me that the flavors would marry more nicely (I know - duh! hehe) if I simmered it first and just keep wisking a little bit as it warms up, THEN it goes on the ham. I save a little bit back and when the ham is almost done I put the rest on and finish it up to get that caramelized 'glazey' effect. Smiley Happy Love it!

I just pulled out a packet of slices that I had vacuum sealed and frozen in Dec and had grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, and whatever else sounded good with ham, all last week. The flavor is so nice with the glaze and without massive amounts of salt.

I totally agree w/ Chickenbutt. I have tried dozens of hams over the years and Kansas City is by far the best ham I have ever eaten. Well worth the money. (better than their steaks!!)

I can't believe how NOT SALTY this ham is. Started 3 years ago and every Christmas and Easter it is a KC Spiral ham.

We put it in our smoked w/ a bourbon pecan glaze.