Re: How do you cook your cabbage?

What's a likker? Broth?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Super Contributor

On 3/14/2015 sunshine45 said:
On 3/14/2015 Carmie said:

I don't like corned beef and cabbage, so I don't make it.

I do make fried cabbage though. I love to throw cooked pasta bow ties in with the fried cabbage. It's a truly wonderful side dish.

that is a good idea.....i will try it sometime with my sauteed cabbage!

If you throw a little onion into this and dab of sugar and tons of butter (all to one's taste) you'll have made Halushki. Love this. It's Ukranian/Polish dish. Fry cabbage (butter), cook noodles and drain and add, can use onions if desired. that's it,,,delicious!!! Halushki noodles are available, but usually use just NoYolk or some fat noodle.

Super Contributor

Basically making C beef and cabbage in crock pot ,,,don't know how,,,just want the beef basically for Reubens later in the week. any suggestions? should I crock pot the beef on top of saurkraut? bought the bagged kind and also large cans for kraut. guide me, ladies, I'd appreciate it. Just me here and I don't care if it makes tons,,got and FLAT and a POINT (?) beef yesterday,,,just to be sure. want to cook altogether,,love left overs. thanx for any suggestions.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure how people do it in a crock pot, but there are quite a few threads in here you might check. IMO there is no wrong way as long as you cook it long enough. My husband isn't a real saurkraut fan so I could never cook it together, but it sounds good that way.

~~
Respected Contributor

I do not fix corn beef and cabbage as I do not like looking at it. Do enjoy eating it however. At any rate I eat cabbage all the time - much prefer it fried. I fry a lot, if not most, of my veggies. Grew up in NC and that is what we did. Use to use bacon grease and it is the best flavoring but been years since that so use either olive oil or vegetable oil. I just chop up the cabbage - not in small pieces at all - and put it in my trusty iron frying pan. Love it. When I eat fried cabbage I usually just have sliced tomatoes and corn bread with it. Can't go wrong.

Bet you will come up with some good cabbage with your meal.

Honored Contributor

A great tip .....

Whenever you cook "smelly" vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc, throw in couple sticks of celery .... don't know why, but it cuts the cooking smell by about 50% !! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 debc said:

What's a likker? Broth?

it's the juices cooked out of the cabbage...it's southern slang for ""liquor""...lol.
Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 birkin baby said:
On 3/15/2015 debc said:

What's a likker? Broth?

it's the juices cooked out of the cabbage...it's southern slang for "liquor"...lol.

LOL, I don't think I've ever heard the phrase before. Thanks.

~~
Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 debc said:
On 3/15/2015 debc said:

What's a likker? Broth?

it's the juices cooked out of the cabbage...it's southern slang for "liquor"...lol.

if you ever watch the Beverly Hillbillies you will hear it lot...haha. I just try to use older words and slang that my grandparents used just to never forget them. They said hosepipe,loaf bread, fixin' to,over yonder,paper poke, go to the bad (spoiled or old food),and all sodas are "coke" (or co-cola is an actual coke).,and many more. I clearly don't always use those terms,but I sure do like them. Speaking of cabbage ever heard the phrase "I don't chew my cabbage twice!"? It means I don't like to repeat myself...as said so awesomely by Ernest T. Bass on Andy Griffith show.
Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 birkin baby said:
On 3/16/2015 debc said:
On 3/15/2015 debc said:

What's a likker? Broth?

if you ever watch the Beverly Hillbillies you will hear it lot...haha. I just try to use older words and slang that my grandparents used just to never forget them. They said hosepipe,loaf bread, fixin' to,over yonder,paper poke, go to the bad (spoiled or old food),and all sodas are "coke" (or co-cola is an actual coke).,and many more. I clearly don't always use those terms,but I sure do like them.

I used to watch that, just never noticed it. I hear you on that. I still copy my Mother's recipes with oleo instead of margarine or butter. I know instantly it's one of her recipes.

Being from North Dakota guess I'll have to stick to 'uff da' . And I say pop, not soda. People ask me where I'm from in restaurants.

~~