Honored Contributor

How can you make a loaf or patties without eggs?

I've always been taught that you have to bind your ingredients together with egg when making meat loaf or salmon patties.  Any other methods?  

Valued Contributor

Re: How can you make a loaf or patties without eggs?

You can use tomato sauce , broth or apple sauce in place of an egg. I have made meat loaf with apple sauce. 

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass  I cut back on using eggs .I bind my meat with breadcrumbs mixed with a little olive oil. Works great.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never used eggs.  Things don't fall apart.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use bread crumbs or usually cracker crumbs and an egg usually for salmon patties.

And I would never, ever add egg and/or breadcrumbs to hamburger patties. 

I almost never put egg and breadcrumbs in meatloaf and it holds together fine.  I often put salsa in it, maybe onion and bell pepper finely diced or whatever, but not eggs or breadcrumbs.  I don't like them in it. 

Esteemed Contributor

try Tofu  ( bean curd )

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I've always been taught that you have to bind your ingredients together with egg when making meat loaf or salmon patties.  Any other methods?  

@depglass @It works without eggs. I have made a meatloaf without eggs and it was fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

Use a panade to keep the meat moist and bind.

A panade is a mixture of starch and liquid that is added to ground beef or other types of meat. Any combination of starch (bread, panko, crackers) and liquids (milk, buttermilk, yogurt, stock, water) can be used.

Contributor

If I need eggs for a recipe, I just use an egg replacer, like the one from Bob's Red Mill, but there are lots of options.  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/egg-substitutes#TOC_TITLE_HDR_7