Valued Contributor

How To Test If Baking Soda or Baking Powder Is Expired

THIS IS VERY HELPFUL AND I PLACED A COPY ON THE FRIDGE.

How To Test If Baking Soda or Baking Powder Is Expired

What You Need:

Baking powder or baking soda
Measuring cup
Hot tap water
1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon
White or apple cider vinegar (if testing baking soda)

Instructions:

1. Measure out the water: Measure out 1/2 cup of hot tap water.
  2. Add vinegar: Baking soda needs an acid to get a reaction, so add 1/4 teaspoon of a simple vinegar like white or apple cider vinegar to the water if you're testing baking soda. If you are testing baking powder, you do not need to add any vinegar.
  3. Add baking soda or baking powder: Add 1/4 teaspoon of the baking soda or baking powder.
  4. Look for fizzing! After you add the baking soda or baking powder, look for an immediate bubbling or fizzing reaction. If it happens, your baking soda or baking powder is still good! If you see no bubbling, it's time get replacements.
Honored Contributor

Re: How To Test If Baking Soda or Baking Powder Is Expired

Interesting.  I never thought it would expire... I have a huge box that I  have been using that must be 10 years old... seems to work just fine.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, that is a very useful tip !!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

YOU'RE VERY WELCOME INDOOR KITTYSmiley Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden - It really depends on what you're using the baking soda for; if you're just using it as a cleaning agent, the age doesn't really matter, but if you're using it in baking, your results will not be as successful with old baking soda. You'll get a lot more rise/lift in your baked goods if you're using active, fresh baking soda, so I'd recommend checking it every 6-9 months to make sure you're getting a strong fizz when you expose it to vinegar (it reacts with acid to produce its leavening).

As for baking powder, I always check mine every three months since it loses its effectiveness much more quickly than baking soda and makes an even bigger difference in baked goods when it isn't fresh.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@SeaMaiden - It really depends on what you're using the baking soda for; if you're just using it as a cleaning agent, the age doesn't really matter, but if you're using it in baking, your results will not be as successful with old baking soda. You'll get a lot more rise/lift in your baked goods if you're using active, fresh baking soda, so I'd recommend checking it every 6-9 months to make sure you're getting a strong fizz when you expose it to vinegar (it reacts with acid to produce its leavening).

As for baking powder, I always check mine every three months since it loses its effectiveness much more quickly than baking soda and makes an even bigger difference in baked goods when it isn't fresh.

@loriqvc    good to know.  I only use it at this time to add to my hard boiled egg water to help the shells peel off easy.  Now I know that for baking I will only use fresh.

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@GiantsLover, Thanks!  This is useful info.  I don't worry as much about my baking soda, but baking powder does not usually last very long.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I replace those 2 and cornstarch and  Wondra every 3 months

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I replace those 2 and cornstarch and  Wondra every 3 months

@SharkE  You are twice as good as me. I do every fall and spring only.