Honored Contributor

What are your favorite low carb vegetables?

The group I eat the least of is roots and seeds.

From Live Well                  Jasmina/Vetta/Getty Images

Most non-starchy vegetables are very low in carbohydrate -- less than 5 grams for half a cup worth. But there are differences between them. See this master vegetable list for complete information, but here is a quick rule, dividing vegetables into four groups, depending on what part of the plant they come from. There are exceptions, but as a general rule, this works pretty well.

• Leaves have the least amount of carbohydrate, and what little there is is wrapped in so much fiber that there is little, if any, impact on blood sugar (this could be helped by the fact that they all contain enormous amounts of vitamin K). They are also rich in phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Examples: lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, herbs. Also, alfalfa and other fresh sprouts (but once you grind up sprouts and pack them together, as in some types of bread, all bets are off, blood-sugar wise).

• Stems and flowers are next, including asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, and I would also throw mushrooms in there.​
  • Fruits -- and by this I mean the part of the plant that contains seeds. This is botanically the fruit of the plant, although we tend to call it "fruit" only if it's sweet. This includes peppers, squashes of all types, green beans, tomatoes, okra, and eggplant. Avocado is also a fruit, though lower in carbs than the others. Plantains have the most carbs in this category, which makes sense, as bananas are among the highest-carb fruits.
  • Roots and Seeds -- Many roots are very high in carbs, such as parsnips, water chestnuts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams. However, some are actually low, such as jicama and radishes. Celery root (celeriac) and carrots are also lowish. Seeds which are vegetables are mainly legumes including peas and corn.

Honored Contributor

Re: How To Tell Low Carb Vegies

I stay away from potatoes/most root vegis.

Honored Contributor

Oh, dear, I do love root vegetables.  Parsnips and turnips prepared right, yum.  Potatoes of all kinds and fixed all ways beckon to me seductively.

I do like flowers and stems next, and fruits.

Super Contributor

Generally speaking, veggies that grow above ground have the least carbs, veggies below ground the most.

Frequent Contributor

What is your favorite way to prep turnips, please?  Just bought some ... Lady in grocery said she mashes them like potatoes.

Respected Contributor

Hi @Kweenme! I love turnips anyway you can cook them: I love them boiled then seasoned with salt, pepper and butter.

I have made a 50/50 mix of mashed potatoes-and they were delicious.

No soup or stew is complete without them...another surprise vegetable are cooked radishes: they turn into sweet wonderful little morsels!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I like turnips all the ways mentioned.  I love them mashed half and half with potatoes too-- we sometimes had them like that at Thanksgiving and Christmas when I was a child.

Another childhood memory is having parsnips lightly breaded or coated, then fried, or were they sauteed?.  It was delectable, and I have never had parsnips prepared as well since...

Respected Contributor

@Oznell, the parsnips sound delicious! I have never had them that way!

Since you are a fellow history buff, you have to check out  "The Guttenberg Project": it's a free collection of books whose copyrights have long expired-but there are so many gems there. One of my favorite genres is housekeeping and cookery books written by "Mrs.Beaton"- a treasure from Victorian days.

I could spend all day on those topics- not to mention textiles and home production.

How is your son these days?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Poodlepet2, you are sweet!  I have heard of Mrs. Beaton-- I will have to check out the Guttenberg Project.  Sounds so intriguing...

Thank you for asking--  he's doing well, contemplating running in a local 5k race....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love turnips  mashed with a little butter, salt and pepper.  Bowl after bowl full!