Honored Contributor

I went food shopping on Saturday, couldn't find a lot of what I wanted. So I wanted to buy bananas, all they had were the greenest bananas I've ever seen! So it was either these or nothing, so I bought them. They have not ripened one iota! I have them in a paper bag because I read that ripened them quickly, nothing! I bet I'll end up throwing them away ( you can not return any good right now). Does anyone have any tips I can try?

Respected Contributor

I've never tried it, but I once read you could wrap aluminum foil around the top of the bunch (at the stem) and that is supposed to trap the gasses and make them ripen.  Have no idea if it will work or not.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

Try opening one.

I've gotten pretty green bananas that never did 'look' ripe (yellow), finally got tired of waiting and opened one and it was ripe inside.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Keep them in a very warm place.  The warmer, the faster they ripen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

To speed the ripening process, put the bananas in a paper bag and loosely fold down the top. Add an apple or a couple of already very ripe bananas to the bag to increase the amount of ethylene gas circulating around the green fruit. The bananas should ripen in just a day or two using this method.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Some won't ripen.  I know that because we had some.  We took them back to the store and when we walked in the manager groaned and said "OH NO.  MORE bananas!" 

He said that those would never ripen!  

Honored Contributor

All I do is put them on top of the fridge.  I believe it's warm up there.  Had to train Killa from sitting up there.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

What do you do with your ripe bananas?  

Do you just eat them or use in recipes.

For a banana bread,I take yellow bananas & mash them really well, I have no patience to wait on ripe bananas.

Honored Contributor

I eat bananas daily.  I love them.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

To speed the ripening process, put the bananas in a paper bag and loosely fold down the top. Add an apple or a couple of already very ripe bananas to the bag to increase the amount of ethylene gas circulating around the green fruit. The bananas should ripen in just a day or two using this method.

@mom2four0418 I tried this, it didn't work. I read you can ****** the banana several times and microwave them on high at 30 second intervals. I ended up throwing the banana out, it didn't work. I guess I'll have to chalk it up as a mistake and never buy green bananas again.