Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Use Artichoke Hearts?

@sunshine45 I want Mom's recipe too!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I love them!  I buy big jars of the ones not packed in oil, as well as  fresh ones which we eat with hollandaise sauce, and the ones in oil for salads.

I put them in chicken and dressing, and about any dish!  They are especially good in any old chicken and rice dish, or a dish made with chicken breasts and some mushroom soup like any of the old casseroles.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like them  cooked fresh ,with butter, but they are a bit of a pain to clean

Esteemed Contributor

I buy them in the can, slice them in half, drain them, place on a baking tray, drizzle a tiny bit of oil on them, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and some bread crumbs and bake till the cheese & crumbs are a little browned.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

for those who wanted the recipe........ we serve these as appetizers by cutting into bite sized squares, but you could also serve it as a side dish.

ARTICHOKE NIBBLE

2 jars (6 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts

1 small onion, grated or chopped fine

1 minced garlic clove (i add a bit more)

4 eggs

1/4 cup bread crumbs

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon oregano

1/8 tsp tabasco sauce (or your favorite hot sauce, more if you want it to be a bit spicier)

2 cups shredded cheddar

2 T minced parsley

preheat oven to 325

cook onion and garlic about five minutes in the marinade from one jar of artichoke hearts. discard the marinade from the second jar. beat eggs and add salt, pepper, oregano, tabasco, and bread crumbs. add cheese, parsley, artichokes, and onion/garlic mixture.

bake in a buttered 9 x 12 pan. 325 degrees for 30 minutes. allow to cool a bit and cut into squares. these can then be served OR you can put it into the refrigerator to warm up the next day.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I toss them in salads or with chicken or shrimp with pasta in a garlic sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, I love Artichoke Hearts too....this is a favorite salad from a local Italian restaurant here in St. Louis (there are several variations from other eateries here as well).

Rich & Charlie's Salad

Dressing:

1/2 cup salad oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper (freshly cracked is better)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Salad:

1 small red onion, sliced thin

1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn

1/2 bunch romaine or red leaf lettuce, torn

1 jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (I leave them fairly chunky)

Mix dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Assemble salad ingredients in a large serving bowl. Add dressing and toss well ust before serving. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese if desired.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 Yum!  Thank you!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 , Your mother's Artichoke Nibble and an appetizer recipe I use to make Artichoke Tartlets have many of the same ingredients, My recipe, hiwever, has a few more ingredients and I add even more to my taste

Artichoke Tartlets   Yield: 4 dozen
2 jars (7-1/2 oz each) marinated artichoke hearts
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
2 TBS minced fresh parsley
(I also add: Worcestershire sauce, roasted red peppers, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, crabmeat. and some white wine.)

Drain artichokes, reserving half of the marinade. Chop artichokes; set aside. In a skillet, sauté onion and garlic in reserved marinade until tender; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, mustard, oregano, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Stir in the cheese, parsley, reserved artichokes and onion mixture.

Fill miniature muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 325° for 15-17 minutes or until set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.  

There are treally tasty!

Honored Contributor

How about that delicious dip?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man